OT: Thank you, Michael Horton

Posted by Victor Maldonado 
OT: Thank you, Michael Horton
April 19, 2008 06:53PM
Howdy, LAFCPUG Members smiling smiley

Thank you, Michael, for making this a reality and for your support we could never repay you.

I thought some of you would be interested in seeing the compilation movie we premiered from our students at the Supermeet NAB2008 last Wednesday night in Las Vegas. We showed the movie to over 1500 attendees. (Running time is 8:32 minutes and 30.9 MB in size.)

[web.mac.com]

It is a small sampling of what the injured Marines are putting together. They make comedies, dramas, documentaries, animations, sound design and write scripts using the pro apps

I'll post more when I get a chance.

smiling smiley

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
Re: OT: Thank you, Michael Horton
April 19, 2008 07:29PM
Y'all should of seen this on our 2 giant 32ft screens we had. Projected at 2K. Really fine. The bad thing was the soldiers didn't get to see it because they were onstage. They could only watch it on the confidence monitor.

The soldiers got a standing ovation when they were introduced and were mobbed during the break. Best moment of the night.

And thanks don't go to me. All I did was give them stage time. The thanks go to Victor and all the soldiers and instructors who took the time to make this happen and share their work.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 19, 2008 07:31PM
Hey Vic

Links broken - I think you missed the L off html here is the full one:

[web.mac.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 19, 2008 07:34PM
You need to click the link from this thread not the one in your email.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 19, 2008 07:36PM
oopsie, thanks, ben and michael smiling smiley

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
April 19, 2008 07:39PM

You need to click the link from this thread not the one in your email.

Coolio - I do tend to link straight from mail most days...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 19, 2008 07:51PM
This is a really crappy picture of the Marines standing on stage. Victor is off on the far right running the demo.

this picture gives you a little idea of the screens we had. Both were 32ft diagonal.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 19, 2008 08:13PM
Hey Mike...don't you ever wipe the lens? eye rolling smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 19, 2008 08:16PM
Crappy little pocket cam I carry in my pocket. Very old. Needed Victor with his Nikon.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 20, 2008 12:35AM
the marines on stage, the speaker in the first shots is Nick Popaditch blind in one eye with fewer than 10% of his eye sight left in his other eye, kevin lumbard and judith are with him and the guys at the side:

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
April 20, 2008 02:27PM
Whoa this looks cool Vic!
Hey, what did you use to run the video?
I hope this isn't off topic, but it's related somewhat...
I just finished a music video, edited in Prores 422, and would like to view my FCP timeline on a bigscreen HD tv. Can I go directly out of my 17" MacBook Pro 2.5ghz into the tv?
What settings and cables do I need, is this even possible. The project dimensions are 1920 x 1080.
Thanks!
Luna
April 20, 2008 06:42PM

Crappy little pocket cam I carry in my pocket. Very old.

Oh sure...blame the tools, not the carpenter spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

April 20, 2008 09:17PM
Hi, Luna smiling smiley

Luna
Hey, what did you use to run the video?

at the meeting? loaded a quicktime onto apple's rig, (fcp, 720p, from p2 cards)

online, fcp to compressor>apple devices>H.264 for iPod and iPhone 320x240 everything at default

Luna
I just finished a music video, edited in Prores 422, and would like to view my FCP timeline on a bigscreen HD tv. Can I go directly out of my 17" MacBook Pro 2.5ghz into the tv?

what's your input? I just bought a dvi to hdmi cable should work for hdtv sony 960n.

Luna
What settings and cables do I need, is this even possible. The project dimensions are 1920 x 1080

depends on your hdtv. i have a sony 960n crt with all the trimmings and works good except it only goes up to 1080i and not 1080p

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
April 20, 2008 11:18PM
Sitting in the front row shooting when the demos were on I got to watch, and the images were awesome. + When the Red and that high speed camera demos were on I wanted to throw my cameras away and quit shooting.
Mike really does pull that camera out his pocket and shoot.
Who knows what's in his coat pocket?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
April 21, 2008 03:14AM
i think the beginning and the end of the movie runs a little bit long and there needed to be some cut to picture during conversation. There could have been some cuts to a blurred or glow in when the marines were describing coming to.

when they were talking it needed some sound fx for marines yelling, a bomb/explosion , tank or truck engines......

very interesting and it does capture the mood of the piece from the beginning.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 21, 2008 09:43PM
J.Corbett
i think the beginning and the end of the movie runs a little bit long...

Hello, J.Corbett smiling smiley

Thank you for your input.

The movie was a small compilation of their work during the 10 week crash course in movie making so to keep everything in perspective, these are wounded marines, some are almost completely blind, some missing limbs...

Being their professor I resisted the temptation to input my ideas into their work except to keep things broadcast safe. It is what it is.

There is a balance between technical input and artistic input. For example, the opening and closing scene of the piece you commented on was edited by a Marine without a leg and in the process of trying to keep his other leg, he had 3 surgeries while at the school. He has difficulty holding a camera and editing. The faculty discussed with him why he left his edits long (it's part of a 14 minute movie) and his reply was that he wanted the viewer to see and experience what he felt when he almost lost his life. The staff at the school (some are Academy Award Winners and many others are Emmy Award Winners) and I decided to leave their movies alone after we discussed these things.

Have you seen Lawrence of Arabia? There are some very long scenes in it.

The purpose of the school is for our wounded men and women coming home from Afghanistan and Iraq an opportunity to tell their stories and learn a trade.

The footage of John Bace (Vietnam vet) is just the footage from the camera, no music, no sound effects, no recomposition, etc.

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
April 21, 2008 11:24PM
Well, for a 10 week core then i would say that was darn good. i thought it was year long students on their first shoot.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 22, 2008 12:25AM
J.Corbett
Well, for a 10 week core then i would say that was darn good. i thought it was year long students on their first shoot.

hey, j smiling smiley

the interesting thing is that the guy who does the animation cartoonish stuff said on the first day to me, "hey, I've never used a computer and I guess this beats being bored in the hospital." he ended up being one of the better students and developed his own style.

editing is being used to heal their minds from the effects of TBI (traumatic brain injury). editing is a repetitive act that uses observation and it is this repetitive act that makes connections with synapses between the brain cells and heals them. what we take for granted, emailing, driving a car, editing, writing checks etc is a struggle for some of them with TBI.

and I doubly thank Michael, you and the rest of the FCPUG for your patience and opportunity for giving these guys encouragement and a new start

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
April 22, 2008 09:50PM

Mike really does pull that camera out his pocket and shoot.
Who knows what's in his coat pocket?

Is it a trench coat winking smiley

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics