A bit of lateral thinking

Posted by Jude Cotter 
A bit of lateral thinking
June 28, 2008 10:44AM
This is not my work, but it's an interesting idea, using a screen capture program on a Mac.

[video.stumbleupon.com]

Re: A bit of lateral thinking
June 28, 2008 08:14PM
I had to stop it 45 seconds in...I thought I was going to have a seizure. Interesting idea, but tough to watch.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 28, 2008 08:34PM
Noble experiment, but I don't think this idea works nearly as well as the Alan Becker "Animator vs. Animation" thing. Having words in MS Word is no different, and in fact much more fussy than, just having those words onscreen in video. The "animating" they did with the words and fonts in Word could have been done much more nicely just by using title cards. "Animator vs. Animation" worked well because there was story and character motivation -- the little man (later men) was made in a computer and they used the actual onscreen computer objects. This one, the song has nothing to do with the conceit and like Joe, I found myself rubbing my eyes after 30 seconds or so because they made it too busy (oh, the eternal "let the beat dictate the editing" virus...). They should have made something happen, say, every three or five beats, not every eighth note. The girl singing into camera was also awkward and not that attractive.

Nice try, but they didn't nail that same magic as Alan Becker.

www.derekmok.com
June 28, 2008 08:44PM
Are you all nuts? This thing went viral weeks ago. One of the most creative music vids for internet I've seen. Plus, a way cool song.

Awesome marketing. Sold a bunch of songs this vid.

Could not disagree with you both more. But then, that is art.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 28, 2008 08:55PM
> Are you all nuts? This thing went viral weeks ago

Well, the standards on YouTube and other video sites are much lower. I think there are some genuinely ingenious videos out there (I loved that "jump-cut playing drums" piece somebody posted a while back, the Becker piece was fabulous, and so was the treadmill dance). I just don't think this one is it. Also, a lot of these pieces would fall far short of being presentable if we weren't watching on tiny computer screens. Put on a big screen (a television, that is), I think pieces like the Twixtor music video, the treadmill and the Becker piece would stand up just fine. I don't think this one would survive the transition at all.

Then again, that's me with my snobbish narrative-film angle...

www.derekmok.com
July 02, 2008 09:10AM
Is that you singing in there, Jude? smoking smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
July 06, 2008 12:06AM
I particularly liked the post-modern fourth wall thing of showing the editing application making the video, the youtube page with the video running, and the iTunes version for sale. Most of the good stuff is in the last minute or so.

And Strypes - that kid is what, seventeen? lol. It's WAY not me.

July 07, 2008 05:29PM
wow! I hate it! Specially the song!
July 08, 2008 10:48PM
Yes, but do you hate it again and again and again and again, again and again and again? tongue sticking out smiley

July 09, 2008 06:41AM
LOL!!! I sure do! LOL!!!!!!the finger smiley
July 09, 2008 12:37PM
> And Strypes - that kid is what, seventeen? lol. It's WAY not me.

I was being hopeful.. eye rolling smiley

Nah... the kid's too young for me these days... Okay... I think showing the production stages is more fun than showing the post production stages, and definitely not the MS Word idea or going through the apps one at a time. The music video of the shooting of the LAFCPUG meeting [www.lafcpug.org] is better than showing the computer screen. But the music is obviously more... uhm... hip.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 10, 2008 11:11AM
I like it because i have never seen the idea used that way before. I think it would make a powerful apple commercial. The song it Extra Un-Good for the pop charts but its Xtra good for ad purposes.

I didn't see the shake interface used but i saw every thing else.

If the desktop had an other than the blue back i think it would be more effective. If it were a commercial for apple I would have placed the apple logo on the desktop w/blk background with the word again under it.

Jude, its original and i like it.

========== mok, Viral is gonna get bigger. and i would say that that was better than 90% of what out there. AGAIN, its better than 90% of viral.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
July 27, 2008 01:42AM
I dug it! And it fit the theme perfectly, right down to repeat edits in a Final Cut Pro timeline! Cute MTV fluff.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle bin views with Shift - H !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 06, 2008 05:43PM
my head hurts
August 06, 2008 09:16PM
You know i have watched this s few times and i have noticed that towards the last few second when it goes to the itunes store. When you pause to see who sings the song the artist name is blur-storted.

who sing it?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics