Color still crashing all over the place!

Posted by Dom Stevenson 
Color still crashing all over the place!
June 02, 2007 12:32PM
I'm still having the same problem i was having last week with this programme. I don't get the spinning beach ball of death but the cursor stops working when i click on anything. I alt/apple/escape to see if there's a Not Responding message which there isn't, so i force quit anyway. This has happened 3 times in the last hour.
I'm using a 2.66 Mac Pro with 3GB RAM and a NVIDIA Geforce 7300 GT graphics card with a 23' ACD

Any Thoughts?
Re: Color still crashing all over the place!
June 02, 2007 12:47PM
Just for fun, do a reinstall of Color and see if it makes a difference. What media you working with again?

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 02, 2007 03:36PM
Thanks for getting back Mike,

I'm working with HDV from my Canon XHA1 in the 25f (P) mode.

I don't think i got a Color disk as such it was part of the FCS upgrade. Do i just stick the disk in and do a normal install, or do i need to uninstall the old version.
Last week Graeme Nattress was saying he was having similar problems, but i haven't seen any more posts on the subject so i'm assuming others are getting on ok with this APP.
I'm booked in for a couple of sessions with a certified App;e trainer so hopefully I'll get the hang of it if it is in fact operator error.
June 02, 2007 03:44PM
Choose a custom install and you should be able to just re-install Color only. I've not gotten FCS2 yet but figure you can do this.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 02, 2007 10:11PM
Just for the record I haven't had any crashes yet.

I just went to check the workflow for re-installing Color and it looks like you will first have to delete all reference to Color on your hard drive. Then insert your Final Cut Studio install disk - the silver one - go through all the licences and stuff as per normal, and when you get to the place where you choose what to install, if you've deleted eveything correctly, there should only be the option to install Color. Everything else should be greyed out. Choose this and proceed as per normal.

June 11, 2007 07:37AM
Just read somewhere else that the screensaver kicking in can cause a Color crash. Do you have the screensaver enabled? If you turn it off, does this help?

June 14, 2007 04:34AM
My problem is that I can't even start Color. When I click it it tells me the file is damaged or incomplete. So what I wanted to do is reinstall Color. I removed the program from the Apps folder but is that enough? (Jude C:"...you will first have to delete all reference to Color on your hard drive."winking smiley

After removing it I ran the install again but I still don't get the option to install Color. Is there anything else I need to remove??

Kasper
June 16, 2007 11:01PM
I'm guessing there are receipts that tell the computer that Color is installed, and probably some preference files...

OK, try dumping these folders
User > Library > Preferences > Color
User > Library > Application Support > Color
User > Documents > Color Documents

Applications > Color

Main HD > Library > Receipts > Color.pkg

Then empty trash, then restart, then try re-installing.

June 17, 2007 01:10AM
Jude.
I went on Color again today. I was really enjoying it before it crashed. Then i opened up again and had a good 25 mins ( a record i think). Then i read a post in which you talked about how cool the Nattress plugins were which i dutifully went and downloaded (Demo version). I couldn't find them in the programme so i shut down and did a restart. Since then i haven't been able to open the programme at all. I get the opening page with the project file and an icon so i click on the the icon and click open. Then i get the "this application has quit" or whatever it is. This happened 4 times in a row so i gave up.
Up until now i open up no problem but crash after twenty minutes. Since downloading the Nattress plugins i can't even open it.
Any thoughts?
June 17, 2007 09:21AM
It sounds like a dud install. I'd try a re-install after deleting the files I mentioned a couple of posts up.

June 18, 2007 05:47PM
Thanks for the help Jude. I followed all your instrucions and reinstalled.
Half an hour later it went down again.
I've just ordered the new Peachpitt book from Amazon. Twice the price of the other ones i have but i really want to get into this programme.
I just need to work out how to keep it going for long enough to complete an exercise.
June 18, 2007 08:24PM
Man, that's terrible! I can't think what could be causing the crashes.

Maybe having a look at the crash report will help. I'm not a code reader by trade, but sometimes these things tell you things in English. So, do this

1. Open the Console - Applications>Utilities>Console.

2. Click on the 'Logs' icon at the top left to open a panel on the left.

3. From this panel navigate to ~/Library/Logs > Crash reporter> Color.crash.log

4. Select all the text that appears in the right hand box. Copy and paste this to the forum.

Like I said, I'm not an expert on this, but we might be able to see a clear conflict or something.

June 19, 2007 03:41AM
Well, as far as I can tell, there are two different kinds of problem happening here. uh - actually, maybe one of them was from the last install and the other is from the fresh install.. One happens at thread 0 and the other at thread 2.

Before we go much further, though - have you repaired your permissions and trashed your preferences? If not, do that, then run disk warrior if you have it. See if there is any improvement.

If there's still trouble, make a new user account and try it there. This will tell us if it's the program or an OS problem.

June 19, 2007 12:32PM
Jude,
Followed all the above instructions and Color is flying.
Just spent an hour and a half playing without a crash.

This programme ROCKS!

Many thanks for all the help you've given me getting started.
If we could buy drinks on this forum i'd wire you a case of your favourite juice.
Oh and Mike, perhaps you could remove all those gobledygook posts of mine above.

Thanks again
Dom
June 19, 2007 09:45PM
Ah glad to hear you've cracked it, Dom. It's such a dissapointment when you can't even get started on great new programs.

[several pages of crash report deleted above]

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics