Color correcting: How do I change color for one item in an image

Posted by Tmost 
Color correcting: How do I change color for one item in an image
July 01, 2007 08:40AM
The particulars:

I am using FInal cut pro studio 2, I have a mac G5, dual 2.5 ghz, saving everything to my external hard drive which has 100.00 gb left

THE PROBLEM:

Well, the filmmaker had a continuity issue, HUGE, when he sent me his work. The main character
wears blue jeans and in some of the scenes she wears White jeans. The film all takes place
in one day, so is there a way I can color correct just the jeans in the continuity issues scenes?

I know basic photo editing software like photoshop or less will allow you to do this, does final cut studio have a similar function.

I have used a lot of the filters in final cut pro 4.5 but those are for the whole image and not
specific parts of an image.

Any help would really be helpful if anyone knows.

Thank you

Tmost
Re: Color correcting: How do I change color for one item in an image
July 01, 2007 09:33AM
Tricky.... Need to key on the blue of the jeans in a secondary room, use a mask or vignette to stop that leaking over the entire image. No desaturate to take the blue out, and then play with brightness, black level and gamma to make them whiter, and then you may need to grade the white to be off colour to match the colour temperature of white in the scene.

I don't envy you on this one!

Graeme
July 01, 2007 08:29PM
You could do this with the three way CC in FCP or in Color, but as Graeme says, no envy here.

Here is a tutorial on isolating colour with the three way CC. Instead of desaturating the inverted colours, try shifting the hue of the selection closer to your target.

Pleasantville Effect

July 01, 2007 08:31PM
Oh yeah - and you'll probably have to do this on a second, cropped layer so you don't effect other blues or whites in the room.

July 05, 2007 08:10AM
In Color, you can use a mask to limit the area of recoloring. as I understand.
August 26, 2007 12:19AM
Also, you might find it useful to use more than one secondary rooms if the character that's
wearing the jeans is walking or running, which results in the background showing in different
shapes in between two legs. In other words, applying multiple vignettes.

Good luck.
October 29, 2007 09:02PM
In color you can apply a tracking vinette to the legs and then in that secondary you can just key the blue in color, it's actually not that hard, I'm having to do the same to make a green shirt yellow in a film i'm doing and from what i've done with color it seems like it won't be too huge of an issue without affecting the rest of the shot.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics