Saving Rendered Files on external or 2nd drives

Posted by TahoeG 
Saving Rendered Files on external or 2nd drives
July 19, 2007 12:45PM
Hello to you all...
My first Post...
I want to direct Color to save its rendered files on something other than my main hard drive (I don't have enough space). How can I do this. I've played in the Setup/Render Directories, though can't navigate away from / or $home, which are both on the main hard drive.
In turn, I have to render, then copy each file to another hard drive, which breaks the connection. I then have to take the time to reconnect all the media.
I'm dealing with a 12 hour project, so an easier way would save me A LOT of time.
Thanx Greg
Re: Saving Rendered Files on external or 2nd drives
July 20, 2007 10:23PM
I can't find a way to select another drive at this stage, but there is this workflow for gathering that might help.

Gather Rendered Media
The Gather Rendered Media command can only be used when you?ve rendered image
sequence media for a project that was imported via EDL. This command used to
organize your rendered image sequence media in preparation for delivery to the film
printer.
It organizes your rendered image sequences in two ways:
 It places every frame of media for your project within a single directory.
 It renames every frame of media for your project to create a single, continuous range
of frames from the first to the last image of the rendered project.
Important: You cannot gather media in an XML round trip.
To gather rendered media:
1 Chose File > Gather Rendered Media.
2 Choose one of three options for gathering the rendered media for your project:
 Copy Files: Makes duplicates of the image sequence files, but leaves the originally
rendered files in the render directory.
 Move Files: Copies the image sequence files, and then deletes the originally rendered
files from the render directory.
 Link Files: Creates aliases of the originally rendered files in the render directory. This is
useful if you want to process the frames using an application on your computer, and
you don?t want to duplicate the media unnecessarily. This is not useful if you?re
intending to transport the media to another facility, since the alias files only point to
the original media in the render directory, and contain no actual image data.
3 Click Create New Directory if you want to place the gathered media inside of a new
directory.
4 Click Gather.
Every rendered frame of every shot in your project is renamed, renumbered, and
placed in the directory you specified, ready for further processing or delivery.

Haven't tried it myself.

Also, I wonder if you open your project with media from an external if this will give you the option to choose the external as a render directory?

Re: Saving Rendered Files on external or 2nd drives
July 29, 2007 11:16AM
Jude,
Thank you for your input. I haven't tried to gather everything yet.
Though, I went through ever folder and found the 'volumes' folder would allow me to save directly to my external drive.
I may gather all files when I finish the whole project...for storage.
Thanks again,
Greg
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics