color usable?

Posted by George M 
color usable?
July 31, 2007 01:04PM
I just bought a new MBP 15.4" and Studio 2. Someone mentioned last night that I may not be able to use Color on this computer. It is installed in the application and does open. What should I expect, and what can I do to remedy? It is one of the big reasons why I got it.

Thanks.
Re: color usable?
July 31, 2007 01:09PM
System requirements call for a minimum of a 17inch MacBook Pro as Color needs a 1680-by-1050 resolution. Color will run on a 15inch Macbook Pro but not sure how well.

If you just got the book then you still have time to exchange it.

Got to do the homework George. Lots of money you invested here.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 31, 2007 01:13PM
Hello, George smiling smiley

quote: "I just bought a new MBP 15.4" and Studio 2. Someone mentioned last night that I may not be able to use Color on this computer."

oops, ok, glad you caught that michael he's on 15 inch

On install you'll be asked where to put the media files, templates, filters...I put mine on an external eSATA drive with 32MB cache and it works just fine. the main internal drive has plenty of headroom installing the pro apps.

17" mbp 2.33GHz

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
July 31, 2007 01:24PM
I bought it in May, I doubt it is exchangable. I do have an external esata drive, does that make a difference?

Thanks again,

George
July 31, 2007 01:29PM
You can hook a 23 inch or 30 in monitor up to your Macbook. I'm not sure though if it will work as it should. Probably will. Best thing to do is just try it and see what you need to do in order to make it work.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 31, 2007 01:30PM
quote: " bought it in May, I doubt it is exchangable. I do have an external esata drive, does that make a difference?"

as with all software, the applications are only a part of the entire system you are using. i'm impatient so the faster drives, processors, cables,... appeal to me.

are you using an external monitor?

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
July 31, 2007 01:37PM
quote: "Best thing to do is just try it and see what you need to do in order to make it work."

yea, i'm curious too

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
July 31, 2007 01:40PM
Yes I am using an external monitor, and if that is the solution, I was planning to upgrade to an HD anyway. It is the graphics card in the notebook that can't be changed, although I looked and it is the same as the 17". And I have the 2.33 duo. The only difference is the max display, which I had hoped could be solved by a proper external monitor.

George
July 31, 2007 07:45PM
I don't think you can get an accurate colour reference out of Color using a laptop at this stage. No way of getting an accurate signal out to a broadcast monitor. Colour corrections made on a laptop (or any computer monitor) will be far from what it will look like on a tv.

If you're correcting for the web, or other computer monitor display, that's different.

August 01, 2007 11:12PM
Hi,

It may sound silly, but I can't resist. What do you guys think about color correcting on a computer
monitor, but set the monitor display set-up to NTSC color gamut? I'd not attempt to grade, say,
theatrical release copy or anything on a computer monitor, but it doesn't sound too bad to do
color correction on a computer monitor if that monitor natively supports more colors than TV sets
as long as it is set to NTSC. Also, there are enough scopes that will keep me from going off of
the NTSC format (ie. 7.5IRE).

Does this sound bad?

Best,

Nook Kim
August 01, 2007 11:55PM
I wouldn't like to do it myself, but there's no reason you can't do a test and see if the results are good enough for your purposes.

So - do a test. Colour correct something with your monitors set up as you say, then export to tape or dvd and play it on a TV. You'll soon be able to tell if it's worth it or not.

August 26, 2007 12:14AM
Hi Jude,

Yes, I am trying it on a project that I am grading now. Moreover, I am doing an HD Project.
I am looking at the scopes very very carefully during the primary grading. Only hard part is
not to depend on the preview on my computer monitor since it's not going to match the
HD displays.

Once I am done grading, I am going to burn an HD-DVD and watch on an HD television set.
If it doesn't look too good, I am going to shift the gamma in luminance throughout the whole
project and do this until the result is satisfactory.

Is there anything you guys recommend for grading for theater viewing? Since I don't have
an access to preview in the theater projector, is there certain gamma setting that you guys
suggest? How about color balance? Does anyone know what adjustments I need to make
if I want to make sure my film on HDTV will look the same in color and contrast in theater viewing?

Any advice will be amazing.

Best,

Nook Kim
www.nookkim.com
August 26, 2007 11:38AM
Does anyone know what adjustments I need to make
if I want to make sure my film on HDTV will look the same in color and contrast in theater viewing?

Thats tough. And going to be a problem as theaters switch to Digital projectors. Despite the standards and one assumes standard calibration of the projectors, its been my experience that projectors are different. So, I dont know how one is going to make the adjustments. Guess you can't and only hope it looks good.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 26, 2007 12:32PM
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I was just thinking though, not everyone who's going to theater projection
has access to previewing their film. For example, when people summit their films to various
film festivals, I doubt anyone has luxury of doing so. If this assumption makes any sense, what's
the best way to approach this other than praying for it?

Best,
August 26, 2007 01:12PM
No way are you going to get a chance of mucking with the projector. They have to give everyone a chance. Chances are it will look just fine though.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics