On monitoring.....

Posted by Ewoo 
On monitoring.....
August 03, 2007 04:30PM
Is it possible / ok to monitor HD output with "Color" on a standard def broadcast CRT monitor - I presume that the Kona will do the downconvert and letterbox the image ok. However will it be acceptable to Color correct with this setup - will the Colors I see on my standard def monitor reflect the Colors available in HD?

Obviously the resolution will not be as sharp - but this might be an acceptable compromise IF the Colors are basically accurate.

Thanks in advance,

Ewoo
Re: On monitoring.....
August 03, 2007 08:53PM
I don't think standard monitors have REC709 (HD) primaries. I don't know if the Kona deals with 601 to 709 conversion in the downconvert or not. I think we'll have to dig deeper to get an answer on this one.

Graeme
August 04, 2007 01:46PM
Thanks.....it would be great to know.....

If it's not possible, what is the least expensive option people would recommend for monitoring HD output from Color?

Ewoo
August 22, 2007 01:24AM
Okay, I am using a 22" CRT monitor to grade with Color. I've heard I shouldn't, but
I can't afford an HD monitor AND I have a made up theory that makes me keep
doing what I am doing. Please tell me what you guys think.

1. Perform the Primary grade using the scopes very carefully on my monitor, which
is set with proper color gamut (NTSC for TV, Adobe RGB for Web).

2. Perform the Secondary if needed.

3. Review the grade on the delivery display (HDTV through HD-DVD player, etc) by burning a DVD.

4. Perform the Primary Out if there's any overall adjustments to be made. Adjust only
the first clip and copy the grade to the rest of the clips.

By doing this, I will just waste a few DVD's or something like that. However, does it make sense
to you guys?

Any thought is appreciated.

Nook Kim
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics