Rendered Media missing

Posted by Sprocketz 
Rendered Media missing
August 08, 2007 01:50PM
Has anybody heard of this?

Twice last night I rendered out my 1 hour show, cut into 20 minute blocks for Color.

I saw the rendering processing. When done, I send it to FCP and get a "some media not rendered" warning. Upon opening the sequence in FCP I find that none of the Color rendered media is there and it's all just pointing back to the original media.

Worse, the rendered media has disappeared. Color has build the directory structure with the individual folders for each shot and the creation times for those folders reflect the time it took to render the media. But for some reason, Color has thrown away all the rendered media at the end of the render process.

This after hours of rendering in the middle of the night.

Any ideas?
Re: Rendered Media missing
August 26, 2007 12:34AM
I am sure you know this, but just in case. When you send the rendered sequence back to FCP,
FCP doesn't open the sequence from Color for you. You will see a new sequence in the Browser,
with the original sequence name plus "(sent from Color)." You will need to open this sequence
to see your color correction work.

Also, I don't use the default color document folders. I always create my own folders for Color per
project. It's always easier for me to track down files and to know what is going where. Maybe
you can try this and see if this works. Always, I recommend having your tests with a short made
up sequence instead of your working sequence. It's just waste of time to test with a long sequence.

Last thing, do you have enough HDD space for the rendered media?

Also, I find that any clips that have sped up or slowed down doesn't get rendered in Color after grading. Workaround for this is to send the original clip instead of sped up clip while keeping the
sped up clip in FCP. Once you get the clip back from Color, you can adjust the length of the clip
to match with the sped up clip. If there's timeramping involved, you can do exactly until this
step, and copy and attribute paste the speed of the clip.

Hope any of this helps your situation.

Nook Kim
www.nookkim.com
August 31, 2007 10:14AM
After more work with FCS2 I have pretty much ruled out Color as the source of the problem. Rendered clips in FC are disappearing as well. I have gone to locking the folders containing rendered media and designating new render destinations as a temporary work around until I can get the current projects out the door. I suspect a bad install of FCS2 or the install screwed OSX somehow.
Other people have had strange media management issues with FCS2.

I have already started building a new system drive with new installs of everything on a second boot drive.
October 01, 2007 02:03AM
Just to add a note,

When you render your media in Color more than once, you should re-name your original render
folder to something else to avoid missing rendered media.

Nook Kim
www.nookkim.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics