Monitor calibration issue

Posted by Ewoo 
Monitor calibration issue
October 01, 2007 05:55PM
I have access to a standard def sony monitor that seems to have the controls needed to calibrate it, except for a blue only option. However, it does have component in, so can I just send a component signal in, but only plug in the 'B' cable to adjust the chroma and get it calibrated that way? Is this what the blue only button does or does it do something different?

Thans

EW
Re: Monitor calibration issue
October 01, 2007 08:22PM
The blue button is used to check your chroma and phase adjustment. There's a FAQ on calibration here
How Do I Calibrate My Broadcast Monitor?

October 01, 2007 10:36PM
Hi Jude,

I am familiar with the normal procedure for calibrating an NTSC monitor.....

However I have access to a monitor that lacks at Blue only mode. However this monitor does have component inputs (3 BNC inputs - Y, Br, Cr)........so if I plug in only the Br cable while outputting color bars from FCP, does this simulate what the blue only button does or is that doing something different?

Thanks

EW
October 02, 2007 04:49AM
Not really, because what the blue button does is show you the relative amounts of blue in each colour. Each of the colours has an exactly even amount of blue in them, so looking at them 'through blue' they should look exactly the same shade of grey and black. If you take some out, this isn't possible.

I think the question you're asking is, is the calibration accurate without the blue button? The answer is possibly, but you won't be able to do much better without professional testing equipment or a blue gel sheet - I think Kodak makes one that works well if you just hold it in front of the screen, doing much the same things as the blue button.

Probably best to stop stressing about it, get as close as you can with what you've got and refer to your scopes, so you learn the quirks of your gear.

October 02, 2007 10:49AM
Thanks Jude,

This is the clearest answer I have been able to find and I think I basically understand what is going on now....

Cheers

EW
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics