DV NTSC proportions.....

Posted by Ewoo 
DV NTSC proportions.....
October 04, 2007 11:20AM
I have taken some DV footage into Color. I plan to render it out using 10bit uncompressed (not Pro Res as I am going back to FCP5.1.4 - not 6). However I am a little confused about the DV NTSC proportions of 720 x 480 (whereas standard NTSC is 720 x 486). How should I handle this discrepancy now that I am leaving the NTSC codec. In the Color project settings preferences there is an option to change the resolution presets to a different proportion - should I change this before rendering?

Thanks

EW
Re: DV NTSC proportions.....
October 07, 2007 12:59PM
Think I just saw this question in another forum cool smiley- stick with 720x480.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
April 02, 2008 10:30PM
always best to render using specs that match your source, so when you say you imported DV footage and now you want to render to 10 bit uncompressed, why?
If your DV footage was DV25 or DV50 at 720x480, rendering with 10 bit uncompressed is a massive waste of drive space, you will be going from 25 or 50 mbps to 200 mbps with no increase in quality from your original footage. The 486 vs 480 is not a right or wrong, best or better issue.
They are just older pre vs newer post digital era, systems of 525 scan. So again, it matters most what your source footage is, and to match that as close as possible throughout the entire work-flow.

Hope this helps.
Paul Buhl
April 03, 2008 06:58AM
You should keep DV 480 as the only way to get it to 486 is by putting black pixels top and bottom, which FCP will do for you if you put DV in a 486 timeline. Be careful not to let it get scaled to fit as this ruins quality.

If you're doing work on it in Color, say fixing the chroma sampling, there's a benefit to outputting uncompressed, also to avoid codec recompression. However, I don't see a visible benefit to 10bit.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics