no access to me external monitor

Posted by Chandos 
no access to me external monitor
February 14, 2008 01:26PM
Hi guys
I want to dip into Color but cannot figure out how to activate my monitor. In video output in the user prefs window the command for apple firewire pal is greyed out and the box just says disabled. I'm in the UK. Any suggestions? I'm sure this is a common question so forgive me if it has been asked before

Chandos
Re: no access to me external monitor
February 14, 2008 06:38PM
There's no firewire out of Color. You'll need an aftermarket card like a Blackmagic to get external video.

February 15, 2008 10:55AM
Jude
Thanks. Is it still worth using color on the computer monitor and then checking it back in FCP?
Chandos
February 16, 2008 07:10PM
Well, it depends on your needs, really. If you just want to learn the program and tweak some stuff, and can put up with having to go backwards and forwards to FCP for preview, then go for it.

If you need to make it broadcast safe or use it in a professional capacity, then probably not, because your computer monitor can not give you accurate gamma, and that means inaccurate colour, and that means you really have no idea what the picture looks like at any stage of the grade.

But certainly you can use it to play with the program and learn how it works.

February 18, 2008 04:37AM
Thanks, Jude. I appreciate your time. Bizarre that such a major release as this does not enable small time producers like me to properly use Color.
Chandos
February 18, 2008 05:36AM
Yeah it's a major problem in terms of workflow. The expectation is that firewire monitoring will come in future releases. No proof that it will, but it seems likely.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics