Removing Color grades from clips in FCP - URGENT

Posted by maggie kudelka 
Removing Color grades from clips in FCP - URGENT
March 30, 2008 04:15AM
Hi

I have a graded FCP project that has ungraded clips mixed in with graded clips. Just wondered if there's a way to remove a grade from an individual clip, so I can send the whole ungraded project to Color?

Thanks so much
Maggie
Re: Removing Color grades from clips in FCP - URGENT
March 30, 2008 04:44AM
Well, you can do clips by themselves, or, if they all have just a cc filter, try this.

Select all the clips you want to take the filter off by holding the apple (command) key while clicking them on the timeline with the mouse. This should allow you to select non-contigious clips. Then go to Edit > Remove attributes > tick 'Filters' and then OK.

Be aware that this will remove all the filters, so if there is more than cc going on, be careful. There are other ways to do it if this is the case.

March 30, 2008 05:37AM
Thanks for your response Jude - I've tried doing what you suggested and while it removes the other FCP originated filters, it seems to keep the grade on the clip... are there any other ways I could try? Thanks, Maggie
March 30, 2008 07:44AM
Um. That doesn't really make any sense, unless the grade had been 'baked in' at some point? Removing filters removes any filters you have applied.

Are you saying the clips were imported with colour on them? If so, you'd need to either re-import the originals, or somehow invert the CC to match the ungraded clips. Which would suck.

Can you explain your workflow a bit better?

March 30, 2008 05:49PM
Hi Jude, thanks again for your response.

We sent an FCP project to Color, graded all shots, and sent it back to FCP.

We then made changes to the edit, inserting ungraded shots into the graded film. I realise now we should have made changes to the ungraded version and sent the whole ungraded film to Color, but were trying to find a short cut (famous last words!) so we didn't have to apply grades to the earlier shots all over again, and wait for the whole thing to render.

We graded the ungraded shots in Color, and sent the project back to FCP. However, some of the grades don't seem to have imported across to FCP - they are visible on the clips in Color, but not when the project is back in FCP.

So, I want to do what we should have done in the first place - send an ungraded version of the complete film to Color and grade all the shots from scratch using the saved grade settings. Because I inserted ungraded shots into a graded sequence, I don't have an original complete ungraded version of the film- I'm hoping that there's a way to remove the Color grades and send the whole ungraded project to Color ie start again from scratch.

I hope this clarifies it - thanks so much for your help so far...

Maggie
April 01, 2008 08:05PM
Ah, hmm. that's different. I was supposed to be into Color this year but I just haven't managed it yet, so I don't know how to undo that. I think there is a 'disable grade' function in Color, but not sure if you could access this inside FCP.

Possibly the Color Forum here at LAFCPUG would be more useful

http://www.lafcpug.org/phorum/list.php?15

or, there's a good Color list with lots of pros here

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/ColorList/at

April 03, 2008 05:15PM
Thanks Jude, I appreciate it.

Miraculously, all is OK now - I rectified some distortion issues to the FCP project (shots gone out of size, turned upside down etc), and the missing grades suddenly appeared on clips!
May 06, 2008 01:44PM
COLOR renders the clips again with the grading "baked in" - important to know - so there's no way to "remove it" in FCP. You must have your original clips in FCP that you "sent to COLOR" you can just go to those and replace the Color rendered ones in the timeline.
January 22, 2009 01:23PM
If you are so kind I will be very glad. I want to remove a special filter called gamma corrector in all in my clip, but I want to keep another filter called colorcorrector. Please how do I do
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics