Color and Multi-Clip

Posted by Scott Erickson 
Color and Multi-Clip
May 08, 2008 01:46PM
Is color compatible with multi-clip? Because it seems to be giving me problems.

I have a nice montage introduction that leads into an interview segment that was cut using multiclip. I collapsed the multiclip, removed all temporary filters, and sent to color. I did my grading, looks awesome, really appreciate having a nice vignette tool, render all the clips, and when i send back to FCP, all the multiclip parts are listed as disconnected. I try to reconnect and it lists three clips as being disconnected when i only selected one clip. It lists unspecified file paths for each but i dig down into the proper render files from color, find the proper clip name but it wont reconnect because its asking for audio tracks and the like.

Additionally, i noticed while the clips we're rendering in Color that sometime it seemed it was rendering the wrong part of a clip, like several clips ending while he was in the middle of a word or a camera movement was happening. I figured those were parts that we're covered by b-roll but now im not so sure.

Multi-clip is my most heavily used and favorite feature in FCP, please dont tell me i cant use it with projects that need to go to Color!

on 6.0.3 all around, btw...if it matters...
Re: Color and Multi-Clip
May 08, 2008 09:19PM
Uh. You remember those cartoon where one guy would say 'Don't tell me that ....' and the payoff of the joke was 'I told you not to tell me that!"?

Is problem. Multiclips are not officially supported yet. There is a workaround where you find the rendered .mov that Color made, import that into FCP and use that instead, but that's hardly 'compatible' functioning.

May 09, 2008 02:33PM
Say it aint so, Jude, say it so...

Well i cant reconnect to those render files but it wont allow it because of audio tracks. Then i just brought the file over manually but it is completely out of synch and did not render the parts i needed.

Thankfully, i can mostly re-created the look in FCP 3way and copy over the graded clips that work into my main sequence. I guess for the future i have to replace each clip using Match Clip to lose that associated multiclip metadata...

sad smiley
May 09, 2008 10:25PM
Yeah, lots of stuff still needs to be baked in before going to Color. I'm not that up on it yet, but hoping that V2 will have a lot of workflow improvements.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics