Projects destined for projection -- use caution when correcting?

Posted by John K 
Projects destined for projection -- use caution when correcting?
August 16, 2008 05:02PM
I'm about to take a color pass on my DVCProHD short film; I want to crush the blacks in some of my scenes as well as just darkening a few that came out too bright.

I just screened a non-corrected version off DVCam on an SD projector and it looked pretty dark to me, with loss of detail in the shadows. I don't know if it will look considerably better if projected in HD but I'm hoping a better projector will help a little. I also watched a friends short at a film festival that was over-corrected in post and came out way too dark. This has all made me gun-shy about pushing the blacks and shadows too far in my correction, since I'll dealing with projection at all the festivals. I'm sure the eventual DVD and online versions will look great, but for the festival route do you think I should err on the side of caution?

JK

August 27, 2008 10:45AM
You need to grade on a properly set up calibrated monitor. That's the best you can do. Projectors and their setups vary widely - largely dependent on the projectionist and the technicians' skill at setting it up properly. I've seen horrible stuff at festivals due to bad projection, not color grading.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics