Flipping footage (redrock clips) in FCP or COLOR anyone has best practices?

Posted by masterbluestar 
Flipping footage (redrock clips) in FCP or COLOR anyone has best practices?
August 26, 2008 10:50PM
Hi,

I'm about to take a DVCPRO HD project to COLOR from FCP and I need to flip the clips. As I understand COLOR does not have a function to flip the clips. So, I need to do this before COLOR in FCP but the filters in FCP don't translate into COLOR, so I'm back to square one. Has anyone dealt with this before and what is the most efficient and less rendering involved practice? Thanks,
Re: Flipping footage (redrock clips) in FCP or COLOR anyone has best practices?
September 04, 2008 04:41PM
1. Flip the image in FCP. (I flipped the image with rotation under the motion tab of FCP's viewer.)
2. Send to Color
The images will still be right side up in Color.
3. Grade
4. Render
As you render the image will go up side down. But this is only as the image renders.
5. Send back to FCP.
Once the image gets back to FCP the image will be right side up again.
September 04, 2008 07:16PM
Thanks, but actually now that I have been working with it for 10 days.. I heard most people using the "Flop" filter under Video Filters>Perspective>Flop and selecting "both". That's why I'm not using the 180 deg turn in the Motion options. However, using "Flop" FCP does NOT send the flipped image but will accept it back from COLOR when it comes back. So, in COLOR I still have to flip my ACD upside down ... not pretty
November 14, 2008 11:12PM
Does this work?

[www.spherico.com]

>So, in COLOR I still have to flip my ACD upside down ... not pretty

I guess you could stand on your head...

www.strypesinpost.com
November 15, 2008 07:57PM
Will give it a try. But, I'm skeptical since from what I believe COLOR will simply reference the original clips when the sequence is sent from FCP.. no matter how much flipping you do in FCP it won't translate to COLOR. will report back...
November 17, 2008 06:00AM
Strypes,

It doesn't work with COLOR. Same as setting a filter in FPC to flop both ways - COLOR simply ignores that. I also don't quite see the usefulness of the little app when you can simply apply the flop filter to a range of clips in the timeline -- that seems a lot faster to me than doing this round-about exporting-importing XMLs. cheers
January 09, 2009 03:16PM
>when you can simply apply the flop filter to a range of clips in the timeline

You can apply the flop filter to clips in the timeline, but the XML does it in the browser, so clips are rotated the moment you launch it from the browser into the viewer, so you don't have to watch your interviewees speaking upside down.

www.strypesinpost.com
Well,

I'm months late to this one, but for posterity sake:

masterbluestar
I heard most people using the "Flop" filter under Video Filters>Perspective>Flop and selecting "both". That's why I'm not using the 180 deg turn in the Motion options. However, using "Flop" FCP does NOT send the flipped image but will accept it back from COLOR when it comes back. So, in COLOR I still have to flip my ACD upside down ... not pretty

In Color go:

Geometry > Rotation

Enter the value of 180. Then either "Copy to Selected" or "Copy to All".

That's how I handled a similar project last year. There are some... deficiencies, though.

- Geometry comes after Secondary and ColorFX. Those rooms don't see the flip so masks will be applied to the original upside-down image - making custom masks a joy to create. Same thing in the Secondaries Preview tab; they are not effected by the Geometry flip.

- When you're done Color'ing you want to reset the Geometry Room and "Copy to All" before adding the shots to the Render Queue.

- When doing revisions if you Copy to All all your green bars go orange. So you'll probably want to do the flip as you go. When ready to render go: Setup > Shots and sort by Status to select all your unrendered clips together, remove the flip from one of those shots and then "Copy to Selected".

- pi
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics