Using the colour picker and vignettes

Posted by Andrew Barton 
Using the colour picker and vignettes
July 23, 2009 12:45PM
Hi,

I have been asked to colour correct some footage. You can see an example still shot of the original and what the customer wants here:

Link to still shots

Basically the brown/grey wall needs to be changed to dark blue which is easily achieved by using the colour picker. However, areas in the guy's hair and under his chin also get coloured so I've been trying to use a vignette to prevent the colour picker's effect on the area within the vignette.

This doesn't seem to work - can anyone suggest an alternative method?

Thanks,

Andrew
Re: Using the colour picker and vignettes
July 25, 2009 02:56AM
Reshoot w/the right colored wall. winking smiley

I was going to say you could try to make a custom shaped vignette if he didn't move around too much, but the fact that he has glasses makes the whole thing exceptionally more difficult. Besides a re-shoot (which would be quicker) I think your only other option is to rotoscope it.

-Andrew
July 26, 2009 05:49AM
Thanks for that.

Reshoot w/the right colored wall.

You wouldn't believe the number of times I've tried to explain how much easier it is to shoot it right rather than fix it in post!

Besides a re-shoot (which would be quicker) I think your only other option is to rotoscope it.

It was done at a company's premises in Nice, France so not really an option!
I had already tried rotoscoping and it sort of works on sharp edges like his shirt sleeve - if I draw the custom vignette against his face his glasses come out fine too. However, his hair is a real problem.

I was hoping using the colour picker would work, and it does to a great extent, but I need to prevent some areas with similar colours in his hair and face from being changed; ideally a simple soft oval vignette over his face would do that but I can't seem to find the method...

Thanks for any further advice,

Andrew
July 26, 2009 10:25AM
Here's a secondary room tutorial that might help

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics