fcp 6 to 7

Posted by evarita 
fcp 6 to 7
August 12, 2009 01:58PM
Hi All,
a question to the question that's been asked millions of times,
I'm in the middle of cutting a project on 6 that will take me months to complete.
Need to upgrade to 7. Is there a safe way to do this without risking loosing everything?
thanks for your help,
evarita
Re: fcp 6 to 7
August 12, 2009 02:14PM
Is this a question about upgrading and needing the new Color or new FCP?

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 12, 2009 02:27PM
Thanks Michael, it's about upgrading the entire fcp 7 studio.
August 12, 2009 02:37PM
This is more of a topic for the cafe but unless there is some specific new tools in the new FCS that you desperately need, then I'd say it probably isn't a good idea to upgrade since you are in middle of a project. Doesn't mean all will go to hell if you do upgrade, but why do it?

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 14, 2009 07:56PM
I upgraded while in -semi "in middle of project" - actually what happened is I thought I was done and then the client came back and wanted to recut and re-COLOR stuff after my FCS3 update. I can report back to you that everything works fine.
August 20, 2009 05:09PM
Upgrading mid project is fine. Done it here...all the project will just want to be updated, but to cover your bases, DUPLICATE the project, name the duplicate with "FCP7" or "Color1.5 or something so you know, then open THAT one. THis way you have a copy of the old project file in case the upgrade doesn't work well for you.

Also clone your system drive before you do so you can easily go back that way too. Or get another drive and do a full install on a new drive.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 20, 2009 09:00PM
Thanks a bunch.
Nancy
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics