Crashing when I send to FCP

Posted by jwilliam 
Crashing when I send to FCP
March 08, 2010 01:42PM
I'm running FCS3, on Snow Leopard, and I've got a 4 minute sequence that crashes Color every time I send it back to FCP.

This is a first for me. I don't often use Color, and in the past I've just sent little parts of sequences back and forth between FCP and Color.

This time, however, I sent the whole sequence over. All the layers, all the graphics, the works. In Color, it all worked fine. What do I need to strip out to make this work in Color AND get it back to FCP? Any tips for starting to troubleshoot this?

Thanks -

Jeff
Re: Crashing when I send to FCP
March 09, 2010 01:41PM
OK, quick update - I stripped out all the usual offenders (stills, graphics, slo-mo shots) and boiled the timeline down to one layer, and it zipped over to FCP without a problem. Wasn't the upgrade to Color supposed to improve those issues?

So now I'm having interlacing problems. My source material is HDV 1080i60, and my Color outputs have a lot of banding issues that the untouched footage doesn't have. This is brand new to me, where to begin troubleshooting this?

I didn't think there were any field render settings in Color. What's the best place to hunt for a solution?
March 10, 2010 02:11PM
>Wasn't the upgrade to Color supposed to improve those issues?

It did. It works with CONSTANT speed changes fine, but variable, no way. Just back those to QT, and stills (it still doesn't like JPEGS or other still formats, and does NOT work on Freeze Frames, as there is no media associated with those in FCP). And you should ALWAYS only have one layer, unless you are compositing footage, then you can just turn off layers in Color to access the ones underneath.

>My source material is HDV 1080i60, and my Color outputs have a lot of banding issues that the untouched footage doesn't have. This is brand new to me, where to begin troubleshooting this?

What graphics card do you have? Color is VERY dependent on the graphics card. A stock card, or underpowered one, won't be able to render out to ProRes properly...they can't do 10-bit or 12-bit color depth. They are limited to 8-bit, and 8-bit with ProREs is an odd mix. To work with color means getting a good graphics card (ATI 3870, 4870), capture card, external monitor.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 10, 2010 05:04PM
Thanks Shane!

Constant speed changes would explain it, as I was getting loopy with the new speed tools.

Interesting tidbit about 8-bit and ProRES not playing nice together. Why is that?
March 11, 2010 05:55PM
8-bit and ProRes HQ.

[forums.creativecow.net]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics