Color Grades

Posted by MarkLeavenworth 
Color Grades
June 30, 2011 04:48PM
What's the approximate ratio between quality of camera and quality of file type transferred into COLOR, in terms of importance to providing color information for accurate grading? Say, on a scale of 10, where 10 is hugely important, and 1 is not very important?
Re: Color Grades
June 30, 2011 05:18PM
don't know about the ratio you're asking for but...

it's important that the camera capture 4:2:2 (minimum)

it is also important that you use an excellent lens & the format be progressive for example, 1080p, 720p as oppose to the format being interlaced. if you're shooting mostly outside i use a polarizing filter over the lens to get even more color information into the recorded file (it'll remove that ugly chrome that hides a lot of color during the day). this should give you a good start in Color

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
June 30, 2011 07:55PM
Thanks, Victor, that's exactly the kind of information I have been looking for. I am only a week into this technology, using a new Mac and a Kodak Zi8. The format is supposed to be 1080p, but maybe that's not accurate when it comes to color information. The filtering tip clues me in better to the reality of the link between camera lense and information that becomes valuable in COLOR.
July 03, 2011 03:33AM
I'm impressed with the range of 'color space' that I get from this little 'prosumer' H.264 camera, when the files are loaded into Apple ProRes422 or 10-bit uncompressed codec. Each provides a unique flexibility. The ProRes allows for altering hues/saturation, and the 10-bit provides for a color-filter effect. That's a lot of color space for under $200. I'm afraid I will have to be resolved to mere wonder about what it's like to work with a $16K or $20K camera that shoots in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4.
July 11, 2011 11:30PM
Not sure if there's a camera in that price range that does 4:4:4.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 12, 2011 01:55PM
mark, does your camera support "intra frame" recording (as oppose to inter-frame)? that would give you better data also.

you might want to check if your audio is set to 12bit or higher bit rate. for some reason some camera manufacturers set the audio bit rate to the lowest setting but you'd want to set it to the highest setting for audio.

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
April 08, 2012 10:11PM
Not sure if there's a camera in that price range that does 4:4:4.

beaded wedding dress
cocktail wedding dress
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics