Opening a FCP/Quicktime file on a computer without FCP.

Opening a FCP/Quicktime file on a computer without FCP.
July 13, 2009 07:36PM
Hi I have some files that I exported as quicktimes (not using quicktime conversion) so they have the fcp/quicktime icon and I can open them up in quicktime without a problem but my friends who have After Effects and quicktime pro can't.

How do I make a good export for them to use?

I did an export without using a compressor (none) but that made the file 35 times bigger.

Thanks for your time.
Re: Opening a FCP/Quicktime file on a computer without FCP.
July 13, 2009 09:16PM
You're sending them compressed Quicktime files using a compressor they don't have. You need to get with them and decide on a delivery format that works for everybody.

Just a little note: The ancient and inaptly named "none" format is uncompressed, but you should never use it for live-action footage. "None" is 8-bit RGB, and all your live-action footage (unless you're working with film) is 8- or 10-bit YUV. Exporting as "none" imposes a silent, invisible color-space conversion that you don't want or need.

July 17, 2009 03:13PM
Are they on Mac or PC? What are they "using" them for? I would export as ProRes and send your friends the ProRes Decoder to install:

ProRes Decoder for Windows:
[www.apple.com]

ProRes Decoder for Mac:
If they update their Quicktime to 7.6, they will have it built in.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 17, 2009 04:32PM
#48 - Cannot view DVCPRO HD or HDV or ProRes on my computer.

Shane's Stock Answer #48 - Cannot view DVCPRO HD, HDV or ProRes QT files on your computer.

The DVCPRO HD, HDV and ProRes codecs only comes with FCP. If your computer does not have FCP installed, it cannot view these quicktime files. It doesn't matter if it is a Mac or PC, without FCP installed, you cannot view these files.

If you need to view ProRes material, you can download the ProRes decoder (mac and windows compatible) for ProRes

[support.apple.com].

[support.apple.com]

If your footage was captured as DVCRO HD you can buy the Calibrated DVCPRO HD decoder:

[www.calibratedsoftware.com]

HDV, XDCAM? Calibrated has you covered too:

[www.calibratedsoftware.com]

If you have MXF files from a P2 camera and you need to view the footage on a computer without FCP, you can download P2CMS from Panasonic:

[www.panasonic.com]

Or you need the other party to compress the footage into a format your computer can play, like H.264.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics