Newbie question: How do you import wmv files into Final Cut Pro?

Posted by Choc_123 
Newbie question: How do you import wmv files into Final Cut Pro?
January 17, 2011 02:02PM
I currently have final cut studio version and am trying to add chapters to a file that was given to me. However, the file is a wmv format, and I'm assuming I would need to convert it to a .mov file in order to work with it? What's the best way to convert a wmv to a file that can be used in final cut pro? And is there anything in Final Cut Pro Studio that could be used to do that? For example, Compressor...could I use that, or should I be purchasing another program? Sorry for these questions, I'm pretty new to using the programs included in final cut studio and thought I would ask the experts!

Thanks,
T
Re: Newbie question: How do you import wmv files into Final Cut Pro?
January 17, 2011 02:30PM
You can download Flip4Mac so that you can read the file and then use Compressor to convert it to a QuickTime movie. ProRes is a suitable codec to use.

[www.telestream.net]

Note: newer versions of Flip4Mac put a watermark on the movie when you convert it, so you may need to install an older version or purchase the full version of Flip4Mac to achieve what you want.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
January 17, 2011 11:36PM
Hey Jon,

I just bought Flip4Mac as you suggested. If it's not too much trouble, do you mind walking me through the process of converting it? I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do with Flip4Mac and what I'm supposed to do with compressor. Am I supposed to do a "file, open file" and pick my .wmv media file and then "file, save as" in Flip4Mac? There doesn't seem to be an "export" function or anything...I'm not sure if there's supposed to be one. And then what do I do after that step using compressor? Like I said, I'm REALLY new to this and have no idea what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
T
January 17, 2011 11:40PM
Open the file with QuickTime pro and export to prores. Or you can use mpeg streamclip

www.strypesinpost.com
January 18, 2011 02:19AM
Flip4Mac enables Compressor to read WMV files. This is all automatic and you don't need to do anything specific to enable it. Just bring the WMV into Compressor and select one of the ProRes presets.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
January 18, 2011 08:51AM
Strypes, I don't have Quicktime Pro...that explains why I couldn't use the export function.

Thanks for explaining Jon....now I see it compressor. Does it matter which preset I pick? Should I use the LT or the HQ? I promise...I won't ask anymore questions after this.....these are the presets that show up:

Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC): Apple Intermediate Codec with AAC audio at 48kHz. Settings based off the source resolution and frame-rate.

Apple ProRes 422: Apple ProRes 422 with audio pass-through. Settings based off the source resolution and frame rate

Apple ProRes 422 (HQ): Apple ProRes 422 high quality with audio pass-through. Settings based off the source resolution and frame rate.

Apple ProRes 422 (LT): Apple ProRes 422 for lower bit rate, good quality applications with audio pass-through. Settings based off the source resolution and frame rate

Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy): Apple ProRes 422 for offline and proxy use with audio pass-through. Settings based off the source resolution and frame-rate.

Apple ProRes with Alpha: Apple ProRes 4444 for motion graphics with audio pass-through. Settings based off the source resolution and frame rate.
January 18, 2011 09:23AM
QuickTime pro is included with the purchase of FCP. If you are on snow leopard, you may need to install qt7 from the snow leopard installation disc.

Prores, same frame size as your sequence/ other material. Set audio to uncompressed/PCM, 48khz 16 bits.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics