Going from HDV to DVD (SD)

Posted by BeyondFilm 
Going from HDV to DVD (SD)
March 15, 2011 11:11AM
I shot video in HDV using my Sony HVR-V1U camera. We shot 1080i with the progressive mode enabled in the menu. We edited the video in native HDV. My client wants a standard definition DVD authored and I'm trying to figure the best way to do that. So far, the results have been less than great. I know that HDV does not go into DVD Studio Pro Pro. So I tried making a standard definition DV sequence, dropped the finished HDV sequence into that and then exported a DV QuickTime movie that DVD studio pro trans-coded. I burned a DVD and the 16 x 9 composition was good, but the image was very soft and the edges were very pixelated. Does anyone have a suggestion on how compressor can help me create a sharper standard definition DVD?
Thanks in advance!

Chris
Re: Going from HDV to DVD (SD)
March 15, 2011 11:21AM
Just bring the HDV file into Compressor, go to Apple > DVD > DVD: Best Quality 90 minutes in the Settings window and drag both of the presets onto the file.

You may also want to consider switching Frame Controls on in the Inspector window for a better quality down-conversion but be aware that this will add significantly to the render time.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 16, 2011 01:50PM
Jon,
Thank you for your response. Can you help clarify the Compressor settings that will give me the best results? I've always been a little confused by the frame controls. The manual says that for best results I should put that on automatic which results in the button being highlighted in black and the individual controls grayed out. Are you suggesting it's better to disable automatic and set the controls to on? If so, how should the individual controls be set?
In a separate response, "strypes" suggested I change the resize filter to "best.?
Would doing so give me better results than leaving it on automatic?
I've run some tests using various settings, but still seem to get the same result with soft video and very jagged edges. Any input you have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
March 16, 2011 01:56PM
Set resizing to "best". What kind of jagged edges? Are you monitoring on a broadcast monitor? There were some reported issues with FCS 3 and down converting through Compressor, but that was ages ago and should be fixed by now. Can you provide a down converted still extract with some generated text on it?

And ideally you would switch your sequence codec to ProRes, and render out a QuickTime movie and down convert that in Compressor. HDV is a little crummy for a master.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 16, 2011 02:13PM
Thanks for your quick response. I'm sorry to ask so many questions like a newcomer, but I'm on a deadline to ship these DVDs today.
You suggested I render out a ProRes 422 QuickTime movie from the HDV native timeline. Got it.
The pixel aspect of the native HDV in my timeline is 1440 x 1080.
Which flavor of proRes 422 would you suggest?
There are several options in the export QuickTime pulldown menu.
There's 422(HQ), 422 (LT) and straight ProRes 422.
Then there's 1280 x 1080, 1440 x 1080 and 1920 x 1080.
Would you suggest uprezing to for the export 1920 or just exporting out at the native 1440 x 1080?

I'll start working on a frame grab as you suggested.

Thanks again in advance!

Chris
March 16, 2011 10:14PM
I wrote an article a while ago about the different options in the Frame Controls tab and when to use them:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics