Issue with Qmaster distributed rendering not working - Quicktime Error -50

Posted by clay 
Issue with Qmaster distributed rendering not working - Quicktime Error -50
June 08, 2011 01:37PM
Having an issue that just started in which I am not able to use distributed processing for Compressor (either locally on my main system, or on a networked machine here in the office). In both cases (trying to just use the local system or the networked system as well), the render fails, with a "Status: Failed - HOST [server.local] QuickTime Error: -50" error in Batch Monitor. I have reset background encoding, started and stopped qmaster sharing multiple times, repaired permissions, restarted both computers, and still nothing works. I have to uncheck the box to "include unmanaged services on other computers", so it's just using 1 processor (or, I guess, just inefficiently using all 4 cores) to run encodes, which is a huge drag, since the networked machine adds another 8 cores, which can be a huge help.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is that my boot drive died, and I had to create another boot drive from my time machine backup. No new software or hardware that I can think of.

So....what to try next? I'd really like to have this up and running again soon.
Re: Issue with Qmaster distributed rendering not working - Quicktime Error -50
June 08, 2011 02:20PM
I'm guessing it could be due to a corrupt codec. I had a case where FCP didn't recognize the xdcam HD422 codec after the update to 6.0.6. In your case, it may be related to permissions, and you may want to try pulling the codecs from the installer discs with Pacifist, or another machine with the same version of FCS installed. Failing which, plunge for a reinstallation. Problem with time machine is that it is not a clone of your system drive, but an incremental back up.

Just curious, did you update FCS on both machines and make site you are running the same versions on both machines? And before you go on the more destructive fixes, try trashing the Compressor cache files (in var/spool/qmaster), and re-render and your sequence and try it with a self contained qt movie. Sending to Compressor doesn't work.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 09, 2011 08:49PM
thanks, strypes, for the suggestions. Both machines are Mac Pro's running latest OS, FCP 6.0.6 (everything updated), etc. This setup was working correctly before my system drive died, so I'm guessing I'll need to try a reinstall of one sort or another.

Boy, it sure is annoying to wait on renders when I've got a total of 16 cores going un-used. Makes a HUGE difference in amount of time wasted sitting around waiting. This is something I'll need to attack first thing monday morning (off work tomorrow, yay!).
June 16, 2011 02:36PM
just an update - finally got around to reinstalling FCP (just the app, not the whole studio), and distributed rendering is now working again. Thanks, again, strypes, for your help!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics