How to convert my 60i handycam shots for use with 24p NX5

Posted by Kitty Hawk 
How to convert my 60i handycam shots for use with 24p NX5
August 03, 2012 01:00AM
I have a project shot on a Sony NX5 at 24p. A second camera, Sony Handycam HDR-CX550 shooting 60i was used for a small part of the project. Both cameras were shot at the same time so I am using Multiclip in FCP7. The sequence settings are set for the 24p footage. The 60i stuff is jumpy, so I figure 24p timeline is dropping the extra frames from the handycam footage. How do I convert the 60i for use in the 24p environment? And, can I convert just the 60i clips already in the multiclip timeline, directly from the timeline?
Re: How to convert my 60i handycam shots for use with 24p NX5
November 29, 2012 06:43PM
Since you have only a small amount of 60i to convert to 24p, you might consider doing it nicely.
Consider four methods:
Method 1. first convert the 60i to 30p (simple deinterlace), then convert the 30p to 24p by "nearest frame".
Method 2. first convert the 60i to 30p (simple deinterlace), then convert the 30p to 24p by "optical flow".
Method 3. first convert the 60i to 60p (double deinterlace), then convert the 60p to 24p by "nearest frame".
Method 4. first convert the 60i to 60p (double deinterlace), then convert the 60p to 24p by "optical flow".

Compressor can do "nearest frame" (its "fast" rate conversion). This means discarding whole frames, causing temporal roughness. The roughness will be less with Method 3 than with Method 1 because the jumps will be smaller, but Method 3 is difficult due to the double interlacing.

Compressor can do "optical flow" (its "better" and "best" rate conversion). This achieves beautiful smoothness but often with unacceptable morphy artifacts. You must look and see whether your scenes tolerate Compressor's optical flow.
The artifacts will be less with Method 4 than with Method 2 because 60p-to-24p requires just one "in between" frame while 30p-to-24p requires two, but Method 4 is difficult due to the double interlacing.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics