trouble ripping DVD and internet footage for actor's reel (DVDxDV Pro)

Posted by Amy Teitter 
trouble ripping DVD and internet footage for actor's reel (DVDxDV Pro)
July 01, 2009 02:56PM
please help! I am putting a reel together for a friend. She had been on shows such as Rescue Me and Life which we have partly available on DVD (bought) and others only available via streaming from web. I'm running Final Cut Pro 5.1.4. I've purchased DVDxDV Pro. It worked for ripping one of her films (which was bought at Blockbuster) It does not rip the Rescue Me dvd. An editor friend said different DVDs have different protection?
Also, Life is streaming on Hulu. Any suggestions for best quality download from there?

Much appreciated!

Amy
Re: trouble ripping DVD and internet footage for actor's reel (DVDxDV Pro)
July 01, 2009 03:10PM
DVDxDV wont rip copyrighted DVDs. You need another program for that and which can be easily googled but is not for us to specify on a public forum because it is technically illegal.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 01, 2009 03:21PM
Man, that's a REALLY tough one. Because taking footage from DVD or Web streaming is totally, completely against the law, no grey area or provision for "fair use." That's built into those media formats and, as Mike said, can't be legally worked around. But on the other hand, this is an actor's reel you're talking about, and you can, like, see her right there in each shot. So it really ought to be okay, in any sane world.

I know it sounds like a pain, but has your friend tried simply asking the producers on these shows if she can have copies of her appearances for her reel? I don't know the television-drama culture very well, especially not from an actor's perspective, but my instinct says that it certainly couldn't hurt at least to ask if she could have a few of her scenes dubbed off from the Avid or something. That'd solve your problem right quick.

July 01, 2009 03:23PM
> has your friend tried simply asking the producers on these shows if she can have copies of her
> appearances for her reel? I don't know the television-drama culture very well, especially not from
> an actor's perspective, but my instinct says that it certainly couldn't hurt at least to ask if she
> could have a few of her scenes dubbed off from the Avid or something. That'd solve your problem
> right quick.

Getting footage that way would be very difficult, because it would usually stop somebody from doing some other work. Or, the episode would have been so long ago that it's not just up for grabs.

The nice producers who do respond to your reel requests will almost always give you a DVD screener. That will have the same protection on it. So it probably won't help. You'd have to find a way.

www.derekmok.com
July 01, 2009 03:28PM
Yeah, I know. Trust me, we've tried. Actors have problems getting copies of their stuff on a regular basis. I'm in no way, shape or form, worried about getting into trouble. They're her scenes. You'd think they'd at least provide a copy but no on EVER does and if they do, it takes f-ing forever when these actors need to get work today, know what I mean? I know a lot of stuff can be found on Youtube but it's a higher quality on sites like Hulu and easier to locate the episodes, better organized, etc. I just don't know how to get it off those sites. I don't care where I get it, and who's logo is on the bottom, as long as I get it.

Thanks again! I'll keep searching for a DVD ripper for macs, too
July 01, 2009 03:29PM
exactly, thanks Derek
July 01, 2009 05:31PM
Yeah...no sh!t. I had to record all my acting stuff off of TV (even movies - had to wait until they came to TV)...couldn't get my hands on ANYTHING.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 01, 2009 06:23PM
Or use the analog hole.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
July 01, 2009 09:03PM
Dean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or use the analog hole.

TWSS.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
July 01, 2009 09:13PM
I'm sorry, I 'm not familiar with the analog hole
July 01, 2009 09:35PM
...neither am I...or "TWSS". Kids today, I tell ya!!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 02, 2009 12:43AM
TWSS = That's What She Said.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
July 03, 2009 02:42PM
[Sorry, but we have a pretty strict policy here. I had to remove references to specific tools that allow for copyright infringement. It wasn't anything that couldn't be found with a google search, but still, we can't let that stuff happen on this site. Apologies. ?Jeff Harrell, moderator]
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics