OT (but perhaps not) - templates for web based demo reels?

Posted by jwilliam 
OT (but perhaps not) - templates for web based demo reels?
July 08, 2009 11:23PM
First, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but this seems like a reasonable appropriate off-topic thread.

I need to build a better online demo reel, and I have neither the time, energy, or patience to learn enough HTML & Flash coding to build one from scratch. I can fumble through basic HTML, but that isn't going to cut it anymore.

Does anyone have any experience using customizable web templates that are for sale here and there around the web? Any good pointers before embarking on this project?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place to template-shop?

And, if this helps keep it on-topic, what makes for a good demo reel in your experience? Have you done anything cool with your demo reel that you like, or are proud of?

For me, I've got a good high-energy 1:45 clip montage that works as an intro. I like that piece as a clip, it encapsulates my skills, my style, and a range of what I've worked on without being dull. My opinion is - if you need to see evidence of skill, it works for that. And if a potential client needs to watch endless clips of other people's shows to decide if they want to work with me, I probably don't want to work for them.
Re: OT (but perhaps not) - templates for web based demo reels?
July 09, 2009 12:11AM
Template? No. I have pretty standard settings in my head that I use via Quicktime Pro Export for Demo Material:

SIZE: 640 x 360 (HD 720p half size) / 29.97 fps / 1500 to 3000 KBPS / 2-Pass / AAC 128 audio

What makes a good Demo Reel IMHO is good content in a tightly edited piece around 3 to 4 minutes (no more). In my experience, a potential client WILL watch endless clips of other people's shows to decide if they should work with you...that's what Demo Reels are for - to compare work styles, weed out the crap and hire what you need for your workload. That's why you only put your BEST WORK on your reel. A Hiring Manager may see one tiny piece in there that sparks interest.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 09, 2009 04:10PM
I would suggest hiring a web designer. Let him wrangle the HTML if you don't want to deal with it. I think it's important to have a site with your resume as opposed to a link to a you tube video. I built mine myself and I'm not a web designer but I think it looks pretty good. A site says that you're serious about your work and are not just doing this on the side along with other interests.

Andy
July 09, 2009 05:58PM
I'd highly recommend Rapidweaver

[realmacsoftware.com]

If you don't like the templates "themes" that come with the program, you can buy a third party one, usually around $15 or so.

I don't know HTML and I am able to put together a web site in no time. You can use quicktime movies too.

Obviously, you'd need a domain name and hosting if you don't have a .mac account

More importantly, it's actually fun and not frustrating.

Here are some general overview videos too.

[realmacsoftware.com]
July 10, 2009 04:22PM
If I only have access to I movie what would be my best route for hi res online?
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics