10-bit Uncompressed SD vs 10-bit Uncompressed HD

Posted by Dolores 
10-bit Uncompressed SD vs 10-bit Uncompressed HD
August 10, 2009 11:28AM
Can a knowledgeable person please explain to me the difference between
10-bit Uncompressed SD vs 10-bit Uncompressed HD?

I especially need to know about the size differences and speed transfers needed to play both types of files.

For example: I've read that you can play a 10-bit uncompressed file on a RAID drive with a 200 MB/sec - but I tried to do that using an eSATA connection on a MacPro with 4 GB of RAM attached to the eSATA connection that is inside the computer behind the fan and it did not work at all (major stop and start jerks for a millisecond).

I also need to understand why you might need 4 or 8 drives raided together with a dedicated RAID card installed in a computer versus just two 7200 rpm drives to play a 10 bit uncompressed file when two reputable RAID DRIVE companies advertise that you can play 1 stream of 10 bit uncompressed video.

At this point I don't care about capturing and exporting a 10-bit uncompressed SD or HD file,
which I understand I would need a special capture card to do so.
We just want to play a file we already have inside of Final Cut Pro. 6.0.4.

Thank you for your knowledge and time posting your response to these questions.
Re: 10-bit Uncompressed SD vs 10-bit Uncompressed HD
August 10, 2009 11:53AM
All the numbers you need are here. I'm going to link to them, rather than copy-pasting the whole thing.

[www.blackmagic-design.com]

Take particular note that those data rates are sustained. If you've got a slow RAID with a big cache that can deliver 400 MB/s for three seconds then drops to 20 MB/s ? I ran into one of those a few months ago; I forget the brand name, but it was fairly antiquated ? you're not going to be able to play back uncompressed 1080i without dropping frames.

August 10, 2009 07:08PM
Thanks a lot, I just checked out that page and the information is helpful.

Now my supervisor wants to know how fast a transfer rate is required for a an uncompressed file that has been transcoded into the Apple Pro Res HQ format.

Are there any people out there that know the answer to that question. That and the other information will help him make an informed decision on the type of computer and RAID system to get from Apple or a third party vendor.

Thanks in advance.
August 10, 2009 07:50PM
I hope you take this in the spirit in which it's intended.

If y'all are asking in Internet forums for basic information like that, maybe you'd be better served by purchasing a turnkey edit system configured for your needs from an integrator. One of our west-coast members can surely recommend a reputable partner.

The answer to your question is 200 megabits per second, more or less, per stream. Call it 250 for overhead.

August 13, 2009 04:05PM
>10-bit Uncompressed SD vs 10-bit Uncompressed HD?

[www.lafcpug.org]

>I also need to understand why you might need 4 or 8 drives raided together with a dedicated
>RAID card installed in a computer

You get approximately 40 MB/s read/write speed off a solitary drive. On a RAID 1, you get around double that on read, and slower on write. RAID 0 is faster on both. But having 2 drives RAIDed is not going to provide sufficient read/write speed. And this is not taking into account your interface, which may present a bottleneck to the data transfer. eSATA is fast enough; USB, FW aren't good enough for that.

>That and the other information will help him make an informed decision on the type of
>computer and RAID system to get from Apple or a third party vendor.

[www.melrosemac.com]

or ask Jon at Caldigit

[caldigit.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
August 18, 2009 06:14PM
I also need to understand why you might need 4 or 8 drives raided together with a dedicated RAID card installed in a computer versus just two 7200 rpm drives to play a 10 bit uncompressed file when two reputable RAID DRIVE companies advertise that you can play 1 stream of 10 bit uncompressed video.

Answer: Speed & redundancy. You can achieve with an internal RAID set with our card on pre-Nehalem Mac Pro machines RAID 5 speeds of 245 Read 247 Write: [www.caldigit.com] and if a drive dies in a 4 drive internal RAID set in RAID 5, your data is still protected!

The biggest bonus vs DISK Utility is that you don't tax your computers CPU as the CalDigit RAID card is a true hardware RAID card, wit an onboard processor & cache memory. You also can't do hardware RAID 5 with disk utility.

Hope this helps.

Anything else, please don't hesistate to contact us.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics