Best method for export HD movie to DVD

Posted by Logan6 
Best method for export HD movie to DVD
January 19, 2010 12:54PM
Hello,

I'm working in a timeline with a 960 x 720 HD (960x720) (16:9) Frame size .
- Pixel aspect ratio HD (960 x 720).
- Compressor: DVCPRO HD 720p60.
- Editing Timebase: 23.98

I shot using Panasonics 720 24pn.
(Simply dragged the clip into the timeline and had FCP set the timeline settings automatically)

What is the best way to export my final 10 minute movie out of FCP (with compressor) for burning onto a SD DVD letterbox? And in Widescreen?

I've tried before but DVD Studio Pro had problems reading the file - it think because it wasn't down-converting properly or something???

Thank you.
Re: Best method for export HD movie to DVD
January 19, 2010 01:40PM
> I've tried before but DVD Studio Pro had problems reading the file - it think because it wasn't
> down-converting properly or something???

Nah, that's not it. DVD Studio Pro should be able to import and use a DVCPro HD 720p file just fine. Did you do self-contained or reference? What about running it through Compressor?

> burning onto a SD DVD letterbox? And in Widescreen?

"Widescreen" is a bad term to use. "Letterboxed" can be considered "widescreen". What you mean is "letterboxed SD" (a 4:3 frame with black bars on top and bottom) vs. "anamorphic 16:9" (an image that will fill a 16:9 widescreen television without any black on any side, but will automatically show in letterboxed SD on a non-widescreen television). An anamorphic 16:9 DVD is what you want.

www.derekmok.com
January 19, 2010 02:39PM
Yes.. Sorry I guess thats what I'm getting at... What Compressor settings do I need to run it through?

thanks for clearing that naming up - i've always wondered the proper way to put it.

My client ask for a letterboxed SD DVD.

thanks again
January 20, 2010 02:31PM
Hi, I still could use some help.

So I exported a 16:9 DVCPro HD 720p file out of FCP as is (using the first menu item: Export > Quicktime Movie (self-contained)).
Dragged and dropped that file onto my menu screen in DVD Studio Pro.
I set the "16:9 Letterbox" selected under display mode (for that file) in DVD Studio Pro. (Client requested a 4:3 movie on a SD DVD so I'll letterbox my movie)

Yes, it worked, and it letterboxed correctly, but the quality is nasty. Especially the white text on black background. All of the images seem jagged - as if DVD Studio Pro is doing some weak job of down converting my full res HD file.

What's going on? If I were to use compressor - how? The same way I would if I were working in an SD timeline?

Thank you. Your help is much appreciated.
January 20, 2010 04:57PM
Are you sure the file is actually compressed or do you have "encode on build" set?

DVDSP will only show a rough estimate of the file before encoding - you actually need to encode to see the final quality.

Personally I always encode via compressor first then import the m2v into DVDSP - that way I always see the actual MPEG-2 compression when authoring.

Alternatively you can encode in the background in DVDSP and when the file is done you will see it in full quality on the preview and simulate.

Of course you must remember that your HD 720p is 1280x720 and DVD is 720x480 representing a huge drop in detail so you may find a few things don't look anywhere near as good as the original but this is unavoidable.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 21, 2010 01:28AM
Yes. I was using DVD Studio Pro to do the encode. And Yes, I burned the DVD and watched it projected. It was very jagged.

So, exactly what settings would you use in compressor? (all while keeping my 16:9 image by converting it to SD letterbox)

Right, I understand it is a huge drop in detail, but this is very obvious jaggies - It should look better.

Thanks
January 21, 2010 06:12PM
I don't suppose the Text was or contained a lot of bright red or blue?

Any chance you can show us a screen shot?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 22, 2010 03:10PM
Nope. The text is 95% white. Just checked my DVCPROHD exported movie and it looks fine.

Interesting, I tried to give you a screen shot of the simulation but it only appears on the DVD playback when it is actually playing - when I pause it it looks clear.

Is it possible that its some kind of Field order problem? What should the field order be set to in DVD studio Pro encode preferences? I shot it at 720 24pn.

its possible that this version was encoded (and burned) with One Pass VBR. But when I change and apply the preference to Two Pass VBR - the green dot in the assets window does not change to yellow (so it does not re-encode) - maybe I need to re-import the file again with preferences for sure set to Two Pass VBR before I launch DVD Studio Pro?

Also, what is the safe limit on the bit rate / max bit rate. I think it is a newer DVD player my client has to project it. I see the defaults are 4.0 Mbps with a Max at 7 Mbps. maybe this will help if I can crank this up?

thanks again.
January 22, 2010 03:23PM
I got a screen shot up. Taken while the movie was in motion. Anyways... you can see the problem.

[www.logan6.com]

This text grows in size slightly (from 95% to 105% - set in FCP)

Also, the regular images of people I have don't look too good either.

thanks
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics