Web delivery formats?

Posted by jwilliam 
Web delivery formats?
April 13, 2010 12:35PM
I'm wrapping up a project, and the client wants clips of the final program for web publicity purposes. They're 2 minute clips for stations and broadcast outlets to run on their website.

Is h264 an acceptible 'master' format to deliver quicktime clips in? Or should I suck it up and send huge uncompressed files?

Thanks!

Jeff
Re: Web delivery formats?
April 13, 2010 12:58PM
Yes, h.264 usually used for web. But it's more than just H.264. You need to know what bitrate you can encode in, and what kind of frame size they want.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 13, 2010 03:22PM
Thanks. The frustrating thing here is that I'm not sure how these are going to be used, and I don't have any contact with the people who will actually be using them. My client wants these clips to distribute to a bunch of local stations and syndicators, and that's about as much info as I have.

Guess I'm going to burn h264, with as big a bitrate will fit all these files on 1 DVD. The next user will have to convert them to whatever website friendly format they want, but this way they'll have as good a source file as possible to work with.

April 13, 2010 03:37PM
Well, since they're so vague, I guess you could use whatever Apple uses... I think it goes up to 4-5Mb/s.

[trailers.apple.com]

Just make sure to deinterlace your footage if you're working off an interlaced format.

>but this way they'll have as good a source file as possible to work with.

The best source file is your self contained quicktime movie.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 15, 2010 01:19PM
Hi Jeff,

Try to find out as much as possible and deliver in distribution standard since it is your show on screen! Imagine some guy doesn´t know what he is doing but still he is doing the encoding for the website. And he is re- encoding your show to some lower bandwith or something and your show doesn´t look like you would want it to look like (quality wise). If people are complaining about the video quality they will call you first and you will have to figure out why!
Maybe I´m to germanic in those things, but this is how things happen on this side of the atlantic.

Anyway h.264 is good, I usually use 900 to 1400 Kb/s including audio.

cheers

hamaca
April 15, 2010 01:59PM
>Anyway h.264 is good, I usually use 900 to 1400 Kb/s including audio.

That really depends on your frame size. At 1080, 1.4Mb/s it may not look so good. I usually tend to go at 2Mb/s, but the trick to web compression is to try it out on a short section with a lot of action and movement to find the lowest bit rate that doesn't noticeably compromise picture quality. Of course, if someone's going to re-encode the thing, it all comes to naught.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 15, 2010 02:41PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >Anyway h.264 is good, I usually use 900 to 1400
> Kb/s including audio.
>
> At 1080 1.4Mb/s it may not look so good.

true
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics