sound with TC of 24 fps to convert to 29.97 ?

Posted by danna kinsky 
sound with TC of 24 fps to convert to 29.97 ?
July 31, 2010 02:55PM
Hello,
I have tried everything I know, and am asking for help with this situation.

A feature film was recorded with the dvx100A at 24p which captures to final cut at 29.97 ntsc.

The audio was recorded separately (sadly) at 24 fps, so the two don't sync.

I tried converting the video to 24 fps and failed to sync, and tried to convert the audio to 29.97 and failed. there are 50 hours of video captured and .wav file for every take of audio.

is this possible with fcp ? how ?

this is an example piece of audio i uploaded to sendspace, in case you have any extra time to help. I will be more than happy to pay to discover the proper procedure that would need to be done with each of these audio files.

[www.sendspace.com]

Thank you,
Danna Kinsky

www.dannakinsky.com
Re: sound with TC of 24 fps to convert to 29.97 ?
July 31, 2010 03:12PM
>The audio was recorded separately (sadly) at 24 fps, so the two don't sync.

What device was the audio captured on? Audio doesn't actually have a frame rate. The only audio format that stores a the frame rate metadata is broadcast wav.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 31, 2010 03:16PM
What do you mean when you say "the two don't sync?" If you mean that they're not automatically in sync, well that's normal. You have to sync your rushes up by hand, matching the clap on the audio to the closing of the slate on the picture.

If you mean that your picture and sound, once sync'd, drift out of sync, then there's obviously a technical glitch in there somewhere. A second is a second ? as Strypes points out, there's no such thing as an audio frame rate ? so if picture and sound don't stay in sync, it's because one of them is playing back at the wrong rate.

July 31, 2010 03:33PM
Sound was recorded to a compact flash card. My recorder was the Sound Devices 744T.

I did mean that the picture and sound, once sync'd, drift out of sync, after one minute. the sound is playing back at 24fps ? i realize audio doesn't have a frame rate. in the settings / format / logging section is says TC Rate = 24 and the video TC Rate = 30. this is the problem, though i don't know how to solve it on the audio side. How do i convert the rate to be 30 for audio ?
July 31, 2010 03:46PM
Hmm... Go to Easy Setup, switch it to DV NTSC 29.97. Quit FCP, relaunch FCP, and re-import your audio. Check your audio timecode.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 31, 2010 03:48PM
Other things you could do is to select your audio clip, go to Modify>timecode. And toggle between NDF and DF.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 31, 2010 04:28PM
Okay. Just downloaded your file...

Get this and change the timecode metadata on the clip:

[www.sounddevices.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
July 31, 2010 04:36PM
this is how i imported it in the first place... but i can try again.
i'm going to the link you mentioned right now.
July 31, 2010 04:43PM
wow. that was simple. modifying the timecode. I will try to see if it now stays in sync.
July 31, 2010 04:48PM
that didn't work, actually i think it might of put it way more out of sync than before.
(the modifying the timecode for the audio clip... )
July 31, 2010 05:01PM
It's more of toggling the audio between 23.98 and 24. Keeping the same timecode lets you automatically sync up the clips in fcp. If the clip is flagged as NDF and brought into an NTSC DF timeline, FCP will retime the audio so it plays out 0.01% slower, causing a sync drift.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 01, 2010 02:21AM
hmm...

i can't figure out where to be able to toggle between 23.98 and 24.
it doesn't seem to also have the option of ndf and df. the window for it exists but not the option.

also, as far as timecode goes, we weren't really using it at all. just the clap of the slate to sync.

i did some math and tried changing the speed of the audio to be the same as the video length, but it was still echoing.

how do i toggle between 23.98 and 24 ?
August 01, 2010 05:17AM
You can do that in Wave Agent. It's under "Recording Info". Make a copy of your clip, import it in, switch frame rate to 29.97 DF, and hit save. I did that on your clip and I could bring it into a 29.97 DF timeline without rendering.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 05, 2010 07:32PM
Hi there. Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem too. I have a file that I imported into Digital Performer, exported one version and reimported into FC fine... now this last version is drifting out of sync. And all the audio details match in Final Cut and Digital Performer. (Frame rate, bit rate, sample rate etc). I downloaded Wave Agent but so far no luck. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics