Quicktime to iPad conversion

Posted by Karl Hirsch 
Quicktime to iPad conversion
September 25, 2010 01:25PM
Hi gang --

I have searched the Forum on this, but I would be very surprised if hasn't been covered already. But just in case...

I have two clients who want their trailers to be viewable on their iPads. I want the trailers to look great, play back all the way through, etc., but I've never had to do this before. I've looked around all over the web, I have used Quicktime Pro, MPEG-Streamclip and Compressor. I am being told that the files I provide are "not compatible," even though I am following Apple's specs as closely as I can (except for "Main Profile Level 3.1," I don't know what that is or how to change it).

In any case, there MUST be a general rule of thumb or "typical" iPad conversion workflow. Or, some 3rd party program out there that a lot of people like. Or a component for FCP or Quicktime Pro for iPad-specific exports or conversions. But I can't seem to find anything conclusive.

And, of course, I don't have an iPad to test things out. I would rather not have to buy one, but maybe that's unavoidable.

Any thoughts, Forum-ites?

thanks!
k
Re: Quicktime to iPad conversion
September 25, 2010 01:34PM
You can use the Compressor presets for ipod and iphone. It is under "Apple Devices". Alternatively, you can also use the x264 encoding library, which gives you more access into the parameters and tweak it from there. Andy Beach has a setting that works.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 25, 2010 01:37PM
September 25, 2010 04:58PM
Let's see if we can guess what version of the software you're using. I'll guess FCP6.0.6? Try the AppleTV preset. Maybe FCP7? Update to 7.0.3 and use the iPad preset.

All the best,

Tom
October 16, 2010 02:52PM
In case you're not running Compressor 3.5.3, here is what it says under the iPad / iPhone 4 preset:

Name: H.264 for iPad and iPhone 4
Description: H.264 1280x720 video @ 10Mbps, progressive. Audio is 44.1kHz, stereo
File Extension: m4v
Estimated size: 4.5 GB/hour of source
Device: iPad/iPhone 4
Frame sync rate: Automatic

Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width and Height: Automatic
Pixel aspect ratio: Default
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: Off
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 50
Min. Spatial quality: 50
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 50
Average data rate: 10 (Mbps)
Maximum data rate: 4 (Mbps)

Audio Encoder
Format: MPEG4
Sample Rate: 44.100kHz
Channels: 2
Bits Per Sample: 16
AAC encoder quality: high
Data rate: 256 Kbps

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 16, 2010 04:08PM
>Average data rate: 10 (Mbps)
>Maximum data rate: 4 (Mbps)

Those are weird bitrates.

www.strypesinpost.com
Anonymous User
June 16, 2011 03:59AM
If you purchase the 3G iPad yes. You will need to pay ATT $30 a month for the 3G though. But otherwise no it's like a regular Internet. Hotspots. I did not purchase the iPad that need 3G service. But I can use it were

-----------------------------------------------------
Apple Accessories iPad2 case iPad 2 cases
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics