Compressing Files

Posted by TroyChristian 
Compressing Files
March 02, 2011 07:56PM
Hi All-

I am looking for a great compression software as I am extremely tired of Compressor and it's inability to creaste a predetermined file size export. For instance, in always wanting to compress whilst persevering as much quality as possible and needing to yousendit, aiming for a 100MB files size, sometimes it takes me multiple tries to get to there. Time consuming and a simply not efficient. I have been told about about several other options where you can tell the software "make it 100MB" in size at best resolution possible. Wow! Why can't Compressor do this?

I am taking any suggestions for a good software solution for compression. - Is there anything new and fab out there that one might recommend??

Thanks!

Troy

OSX 10.6.6

FCP 7.03
Re: Compressing Files
March 02, 2011 08:38PM
The only software I have used in the past where you can set a "Target File Size" is I believe Sorenson Squeeze. I just use good old QT Pro Export for all my daily compressions (and I do a bunch). I don't mind the trial & error. I have never used Compressor.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 02, 2011 08:55PM
MPEG Streamclip, when you adjust the export settings, shows you a much more accurate end file size than Compressor.

www.derekmok.com
March 02, 2011 09:01PM
I actually find Compressor to be accurate enough. If I want it to be less than 100 megs, I target at slightly over 90 megs.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 03, 2011 02:29AM
This is where a little Maths and a little widget comes in handy!

It is pretty easy to work out how big a file will be when you now the duration a datarate!

Filesize (in MegaBytes) = Duration (in Seconds) x Datarate (AV in MB per second)

or

Filesize (in KiloBytes) = Duration (in Seconds) x Datarate (AV in KB per second)

Filesize (in Bytes) = Duration (in Seconds) x Datarate (AV in Bytes per second)

Filesize (in Bits) = Duration (in Seconds) x Datarate (AV in Bits per second)

You get the picture!

However to save all that hassle you can get a Bitrate calculator here:

[www.3ivx.com]

If like on this one you need to specific audio bitrate then for mono use a minimum of 56Kbps with AAC or 64kbps for MPEG based audio codecs and at least double those figures for Stereo.

Then you can work out the Video Bitrate needed to make a file at a particular size.

I use this calc.

[www.apple.com]

Its not difficult and really is basic Maths which if you are compressing video you really ought to know.

Happy Transcoding!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 03, 2011 02:35AM
There is also bitratecalc.

[www.google.com.sg]

What I meant earlier is that I actually use the inspector in Compressor and target slightly lower.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 03, 2011 02:42AM
Yes you should always look at just under the actual size you want as there are often overheads in files that vary according to the format and this could pip you over the threshold your have set.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 03, 2011 03:51AM
Not only that. It's VBR, and that bitrate is the target bitrate, not absolute. You cannot predict absolute figures based on an average bitrate. You can only do that with CBR encoding, but your quality takes a hit.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 03, 2011 04:34AM
Just saying that something is CBR or Constant Bit Rate doesn't actually mean it will affect the quality.

It is the lowering of the data rate that affects the quality.

VBR or Variable Bit Rate allows a range of data rates so to save on areas that don't require much data and more for areas that do. Essentially reducing file size for the areas you don't need to have max throughput.

Uncompressed Video is CBR

ProRes is VBR

So in the case of setting a file size as 100MB CBR vs VBR - it will actually depend on the other factors such as how much data the picture and sound require for a quality output.

It also depends greatly on how good the Compression app is!

March 03, 2011 10:08AM
Ah, I didn't clarify this earlier. It is because we are running lossy compression, VBR both helps to keep the quality of the image consistent and helps save on file size. The downside is that VBR tends to be more processor intensive, especially with regards to encoding. At the same file size, CBR is less consistent with regards to quality.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 03, 2011 10:54AM
I would argue that VBR is less consistent quality-wise as any peak in the bitrate requires a corresponding trough to conform to the average bitrate.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 03, 2011 11:52AM
Mpeg 2 VBR at 7Mb/s vs CBR at 7Mb/s. ProRes and DNxHD are VBR.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 03, 2011 12:06PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would argue that VBR is less consistent
> quality-wise as any peak in the bitrate requires a
> corresponding trough to conform to the average
> bitrate.

Jon,

You may be confused about how VBR really works. It exists precisely to perform better than CBR methods at the same average bit rate.

VBR methods allow "more bits of data" to be allocated to more complex areas of video or audio (such as motion in video) and less to areas with less complexity.

That said, there may be less than optimal performance with lower quality encoders, or with poor encoder settings.

-Dave
March 03, 2011 12:30PM
I know how VBR works but upon re-reading the topic I realized I'm arguing a completely different point so ignore what I just said winking smiley

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 03, 2011 12:53PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know how VBR works but upon re-reading the topic
> I realized I'm arguing a completely different
> point so ignore what I just said winking smiley

I figured that either I really misunderstood you or you were "talking about" something else...
winking smiley

-Dave
March 03, 2011 10:18PM
You guys are awesome!

... but you know that winking smiley
As soon as my eyes roll out of the back of my head I'll try what you have suggested ....

Def gotta shoot a bit lower in Compressor - I have learned that. The math is easy ... just need to figure it... But that is why I posed the question- dang isn't there a program that does that for you with the click of a button?? Pretty easy. We want the best look at the smallest size. For yousendit I need 100MB. Export!

In any case, thanks for the info gents!

Troy
March 05, 2011 11:19AM
Looking at Sorenson- any of you use it/recommend it? Looking for the absolute best way to compress HD footage for the internet and SD DVD's
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics