virtually identical systems get different results

Posted by Tom Sanders 
virtually identical systems get different results
September 01, 2011 04:08AM
I'm on a project with partners in Korea. I'm trying to devise a file conversion workflow for my counterpart there, but despite very similar system specs (below) I can't get her system to handle a file format that I can process here.

Both of us can play (and open in Compressor) uncompressed avi's (from 3Ds Max). But, while I can also open avi's compressed using the ms_video_1 codec, she can't.

(I don't know if its relevant, but I've noticed that I can open these codecs in QT7 but not in QT 10. In any event, I have verified that she is also using QT 7 for this workflow.)

Where can I look for discrepancies between our machines? We're running identical OS's (snow leopard on mac pro's) and the same versions of QT 7 pro. I put flipformac on both systems. Obviously, there is something different between our systems, but I can't think what it might be.

Any ideas?
Re: virtually identical systems get different results
September 01, 2011 09:22AM
Does she have Perian installed?

You can see which QuickTime components are installed by looking in /Library/QuickTime, /Library/Components, /System/Library/QuickTime and ~/Library/QuickTime but System Toolkit makes this process much easier: [www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 01, 2011 01:01PM
I don't think she has Perian, but neither do I. We both have flipformac, but I'm not sure that even handles avi's, or this particular avi compressor.

Jon, does your pro-admin app working over the internet?
September 01, 2011 01:11PM
Nope, it's for local networks only right now. 2.0 will work better over VPN and suchlike.

I know Perian supports AVI but there are others that do too:
[guides.macrumors.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 01, 2011 05:47PM
I use MPlayer these days (it's a player like VLC which is based off the FFMPEG libs). Do you need to convert it for editing?

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics