audio sync and compression quality

Posted by iritter 
audio sync and compression quality
October 22, 2011 09:40PM
Hi, i have tried all other x264 compressors , hopefully someone can help with this? thanks! smileys with beer

I am converting a dvd to mp4 using Handbrake (iphone/ipod preset for baseline profile) ...the mp4 (x264) file plays fine on iphone and android...but then what i need to do is chop up that mp4 into segments which play on iphone but the audio is out of sync on android (the audio starts immediately and is out of sync with video)....the reason i am trying to edit this way is because handbrake is the only x264 encoder that gives me the file size and quality i need, every other encoder doesn't even come close (even x264Encoder with all the paramaters nowhere near Handbrake)...no export to Handbrake option...so is this possible to fix? i really appreciate any responses and help!!
Re: audio sync and compression quality
October 26, 2011 12:16PM
Handbrake basically sucks for hardware compatibility and audio syncing. I've heard of many people having the same problem. I wrote DVDxDV, so I would recommend using that first over anything else. The Pro version of DVDxDV let's you define in and out point at the resolution of one second using the expandable timeline. There's other solutions out there too, but I can't speak for the quality of those products.
October 26, 2011 01:50PM
Hi Brad, I found by running 3 Pass encoding with x264encoder I am able to edit the mp4 file into smaller segments which play on both iOS and android without the a/v sync issues..does DVDxDV have 3 pass encoding? do u know why this is that the file works with 3 pass encoding? Weird? Thanks!!
October 27, 2011 03:23PM
Handbrake doesn't follow the normal Quicktime encoding process. It has it's own code for creating H.264. Quicktime only needs 2 pass encoding to get it right. DVDxDV sends everything to Quicktime to have it process the H.264. I trust Apple a lot more to get it right than I would trust an unsupported open source project. I trust Apple to get things right more than an open source project.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics