Shooting at 60 FPS (Canon 75) to MPEG Streamclip to FCP 7

Posted by Liza 
Shooting at 60 FPS (Canon 75) to MPEG Streamclip to FCP 7
January 11, 2012 03:50PM
I need to check my workflow with: Canon 7D shot in 60 FPS - to - MPEG Streamclip - to FCP 7.

Hello all. I have used some tutorials found on YouTube for MPEG streamclip to convert from H.264 to Prores 422 for FCP 7 editing, but I seem to be missing some steps. Does any have a cheat sheet / check off list to make sure all my settings in MPEG streamclip are correct in converting to ProRes422 so when I play my 60FPS files out in FCP they play in slowmotion?
Thanks I really appreciate it.
Liza
Re: Shooting at 60 FPS (Canon 75) to MPEG Streamclip to FCP 7
January 11, 2012 03:51PM
Ops meant Canon 7D - -but you probably figured that out.
January 11, 2012 04:00PM
Why are you using MPEG Streamclip? FCP's Log and Transfer is a lot faster, and gives things (logging metadata, time-of-day timecode, ability to re-create lost clips) that MPEG Streamclip doesn't. That is, unless you're trying to convert the frame rate as well. But then why not shoot at the frame rate you wanted in the first place?

> Does any have a cheat sheet / check off list to make sure all my settings in MPEG streamclip are correct in converting
> to ProRes422 so when I play my 60FPS files out in FCP they play in slowmotion?

You're doing it wrong. You need to conform your 60fps clips to play at a lower frame rate, yet throw away none of the original 60 frames per second. Cinema Tools is what you want, not MPEG Streamclip.

Use FCP Log and Transfer to transfer the 60fps clips. Then duplicate the clips (frame-rate conform is a non-reversible process), rename the copies, and then run Cinema Tools to conform them to your lower frame rate (23.976 fps?).

www.derekmok.com
January 12, 2012 08:58AM
Thanks Derekmok. This is my first time using the camera. I was informed that the best way to get the file to ProRes 422 was through MPEG Streamclip. I was also informed that Cinema Tools wasn't the best? I will try everything. If anyone has a step by step cheat sheet on how to use MPEG Streamclip so that my 60FPS will play out slowed down (like over-cranking film) in the timeline of FCP I would much appreciate it.

1) Do I change the frame rate in the QT conversion to 23.98 or do I keep it the same and assume since the sequence settings are 23.98 it will play out slow?

2) Which 422 prorez file type do I use: HQ, LT or no extension just ProREs 422?

Thanks!
Liza
January 12, 2012 09:49AM
> I was informed that the best way to get the file to ProRes 422 was through MPEG Streamclip. I was also informed
> that Cinema Tools wasn't the best?

Who told you that? Cinema Tools is an entirely separate tool with completely different functions. Whoever told you "Cinema Tools isn't as good" doesn't understand what the software is actually for.

> If anyone has a step by step cheat sheet on how to use MPEG Streamclip so that my 60FPS will play out slowed down

You don't. MPEG Streamclip doesn't do this function.

I gave you a step-by-step above. You should use it. If you insist on using MPEG Streamclip, then convert the media to ProRes with MPEG Streamclip (losing timecode in the process), and then conform to 23.98fps with Cinema Tools.

Have you ever used Log and Transfer? It sounds to me like you're resisting it, but for the wrong reasons.

www.derekmok.com
January 12, 2012 11:57AM
I am failing to communciate properly:

"Who told you that? Cinema Tools is an entirely separate tool with completely different functions. Whoever told you "Cinema Tools isn't as good" doesn't understand what the software is actually for. "

I/we understand that Cinema Tools is a frame converion tool. I shouldn't have combined those two quesitons in one sentence.

Again I am failing to comunciate properly:

" anyone has a step by step cheat sheet on how to use MPEG Streamclip so that my 60FPS will play out slowed down

You don't. MPEG Streamclip doesn't do this function."

I know Steamclip doesn't slow it down. I was referring to the final end result of slow motion achieved while it plays out in my sequence. (Shooting at 60FPS and playing out at 23.98) I know that Streamclip is for the conversion to 422. FCP does not recognize or like h.264...right? So, I just need to know what settings I needed to check in the QT conversion to 422 through Streamclip. Currently my clips don't play out in slowmotion (IN MY SEQUENCE IN FCP). I must have missed some settings in the conversion to 422.

I will try your workflow--and thanks for all your input.

Liza
January 12, 2012 12:03PM
Liza, you keep missing what I'm trying to tell you. Here's the step-by-step again as I'd outlined in the first post.

1. FCP Log and Transfer to convert the H.264s to ProRes 422 clips AT 59.94FPS (this should be automatic if you're using Log and Transfer). Or if you choose to use MPEG Streamclip, DO NOT CHANGE THE FRAME RATE.

2. Duplicate the ProRes clips and add a suffix to the file names of the copies (eg. "01-01-01_conformed_23_98fps.mov" ).

3. Run Cinema Tools on the copied clips and conform them to 23.98fps.

www.derekmok.com
January 13, 2012 08:08AM
Derek,

Thanks for "dumbing it down". My bad for not asking the right questions.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics