Geometry Pane

Posted by dcouzin 
Geometry Pane
November 28, 2012 11:39AM
I received a 1920x1080 video transfer from a 35mm cine print. The transfer involved a chain of steps which the film's producer-director no longer remembered. The video had a fuzzy black border asymmetrical around the image: about 26 pixels on the left; about 40 on the right; about 10 above; about 26 below. So the image area was almost exactly 16:9. But the image was distorted: everything appeared too wide. I measured some circular things and found their widths about 1.121× their heights. This means that the image area should correctly be displayed at about 1.58:1. The film was released as 1.66:1, so some of its width had been cropped. What's cropped is lost. I decided to undistort the image and display it as 1.58:1 pillarboxed in standard 16:9 video.

The geometry pane of Compressor allows this. The geometry pane has three entry sections named "Source Inset (Cropping)", "Dimensions (encoded pixels)", "Output Image Inset (Padding)" for settings. The relation of the three is simple, but lacks clear description in the verbose User Manual.

..."Cropping" refers to pixels removed from the input image.
..."encoded pixels" refers to the whole output image.
..."Padding" refers to black edges of the whole output image.

The relation of the three is this:

...The input image area minus its crop is mapped onto the output image area minus its padding.

So I entered 26, 40, 10, 26 (as described) for crop and 1920, 1080 1920x1080 for encoded pixels. Square pixels. To find the padding then required arithmetic. I put 105 on the left and 104 on the right.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Re: Geometry Pane
November 28, 2012 12:16PM
I just wanted to say that I really like the investigative posts you write on this forum, Dennis. They're very helpful.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Re: Geometry Pane
November 28, 2012 05:13PM
Thanks Jon. Apple's documentation is weak. Apple devotes enough words, but has the wrong people writing them. After wasting time to understand some Apple tool or rule I like to write it up to help the next user, if possible, and also to help myself if I later forget.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics