Edit in Apple Intermediate Code (AIC) or Apple Pro Res 422 HQ?
January 21, 2013 05:28PM
I'm a bit rusty on all this having been out of the video editing game for a couple of years.

I want to edit my HD video simply in Final Cut Pro and for my purposes can choose between:

1) Apple Intermediate Code (AIC) or
2) Apple Pro Res 422 HQ (or just Apple Pro Res 422)

... both 'native' Apple codecs that need no time consuming pre-rendering in FCP.

I'm shooting in AVCHD and can convert to these two codecs using ClipWrap. I need to do this as I'm using FCP v6 on a MacOS 10.5.8 machine and cannot afford an upgrade at the moment so I cannot import AVCHD natively.

I will show the edited HD video at full res directly from harddisk to a 1920x1080 TV screen, and also burn STD DVD disks (maybe later BluRay). I'll also no doubt render some 640x360 H.264 for posting online etc

My camera only captures in 4:2:0 so 4:2:2 editing may be a little redundant, tho ProRes 422 HQ is broadcast quality I believe.

What compressor format should I use and why?

Cheers! Nick
Re: Edit in Apple Intermediate Code (AIC) or Apple Pro Res 422 HQ?
January 21, 2013 05:37PM
AIC is a much older codec so ProRes is the preferred format nowadays. I believe regular ProRes (non HQ) will suffice for HDV.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
January 21, 2013 05:42PM
ProRes is far superior. Also more compatible with current systems and workflows. It's also not that new anymore -- been in the game since 2007.

www.derekmok.com
January 22, 2013 04:50AM
Haha 2007 is about when I took a break from video editing! Thanks guys, looks like I'll be going ProRes. Thanks for the quick responses
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics