Browser refinements

Posted by Andrew Kines 
Browser refinements
November 22, 2006 10:34PM
Columns: I'd love it if the sort order of the column headings in the "add column" pull down menu was consistent. Right now it's by last added or something so finding the anamorphic or source column takes more time than I'd like.

Logging/Naming: How about a post-logging feature that combines the entries in some columns to make the clip name, like what is done when logging but done after with a choice of columns and naming scheme (see DVDSP file naming dialogue). This goes in tandem with my other request to be able to change the name of a clip and have a command to pass the name change on to the media files. It's much easier to log stuff in bulk after capture, especially with new tapeless formats and it would be nice to be able to add scene, slate, and take info into columns and have FCP make the clip name from that and update the media file name.

Timeline: Saveable timeline track height layouts. Straight out of AVID I know but I do miss the solid colouring of AVID clips and the timeline presets. I find the clip colour "text highlight" in the timeline messy.

ak

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: Browser refinements
November 23, 2006 05:57AM
" Saveable timeline track height layouts."

Can't you do this already in Timeline Layout Popup?
November 23, 2006 09:48AM
Tom Wolsky
" Saveable timeline track height layouts."

Can't you do this already in Timeline Layout Popup?

Whoot! Whoot! Indeed you can. I have always Shift-T'd my way through the 4 preset track sizes that I never clicked there to notice there was a pop up. Would be nice to be able to adjust size of more than one track at a time but this will do.
Now for some random clicking about to see what else I have missed.

Much obliged Mr. Wolsky.

ak

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: Browser refinements (& Bezier editor)
November 24, 2006 12:26AM
>>I'd love it if the sort order of the column headings in the "add column" pull down menu was consistent. Right now it's by last added or something so finding the anamorphic or source column takes more time than I'd like. <<

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you want, but for now you can set up a custom column layout. So - sort out how you want your columns to be set out, right or control click on the header of any column and choose 'Save column layout'. Then you can just load your favourites when required.

>>A Bezier Keyframe Velocity Curve editor. The ability to edit keyframe interpolation with bezier handles.<<

Again, not sure if this is exactly what you want, but any keyframe in FCP is capable of being manipulated with bezier handles. Just right click on the keyframe node and select 'linear' if you're working directly in the canvas, or 'smooth' in the motion control panel and the beizer handles should appear.

November 24, 2006 12:43AM
> I'd love it if the sort order of the column headings in the "add column" pull down menu was
> consistent. Right now it's by last added or something so finding the anamorphic or source
> column takes more time than I'd like.

I think I know what Andrew was referring to and I'd agree. I use customized column layouts all the time -- I have ones saved for "Simplified" (showing only the most commonly needed columns), "Logging" (putting Reel Name, Media In and Out columns together) etc. But when you need to add one to what's already there, the jumbled order of the list that comes up really slows you down.

Same for the option to CONTROL-click on the Reel Name column of a clip or group of clips to choose a pre-existing Reel Name. The list that appears is based on the order in the Browser.

It really should be alpha-numeric in both these cases, in my opinion.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics