TITLE TOOL + Responses to: Rulers, guides in canvas; Revision Mode; LiveType

Posted by Loren Miller 
TITLE TOOL + Responses to: Rulers, guides in canvas; Revision Mode; LiveType
December 02, 2006 12:38AM
[rulers, guides and spatial snapping in the canvas.]

No snap, but DH_Grid from Digital Heaven gives you the custom lines.

www.digital-heaven.com

[A revision mode would be nice. I don't know exactly how to execute that kind of request, but there has to be some innovative way to visualize how clips have been moved, etc. ]

It's called "previous sequence" !

Seriously, you can load it, switch instantly using the new Command-Shift [ or ] keys for Tabbed Window navigation and compare two timelines, older and newer.

Tom W.:
[LiveType is a great application for text generation, extremely powerful, and purely for motion graphics, not compositing,]

I've had little success or joy with LiveType; it seems overegineered for some titling and underengineered for others (crawls.) In addition, I have the fun experience of importing a live background with hopes of actually building a title over background video and when I return to FCP with it-- my background video's been trashed, leaving me with a white clip. Haven't fooled around with it much. It either works or it doesn't. Not a mission critical tool for me.

We need a TITLE TOOL in FCP which allows backgorund video to show for precise composition. And doesn't crash media or apps. That's kid stuff.

- Loren
Today's FCP HD 4.5 or 5.x keytip:
Select items and Shift-D to Make Offline!

The FCP HD KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at discount at the LAFCPUG Store!
Re: TITLE TOOL
December 02, 2006 12:41AM
A serious Title Tool: I SECOND that bigtime.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 02, 2006 08:14AM
I also vote for improvements to the title tool. I like Title 3D, but also really need to see the background video for composition.

HarryD
December 02, 2006 09:47AM
> I also vote for improvements to the title tool. I like Title 3D, but also really need to see the
> background video for composition.

You can. Drag the Title 3D object from the Viewer into the timeline first over the image. Then rest the playhead over the title and image, open the title in the Viewer. The Canvas will show you the title's position relative to the image.

www.derekmok.com
December 03, 2006 03:03PM
[You can. Drag the Title 3D object from the Viewer into the timeline first over the image. Then rest the playhead over the title and image, open the title in the Viewer. The Canvas will show you the title's position relative to the image.]

No. This is secondary and delayed action. I need to be able to compose titles over video in situ; in the Canvas window, ideally, where I can experiment with instant feedback. Your method still requires using Title 3D as a separate interface to tweak text while designing. You have to tweak, apply, wait until your effects regster in the Canvas, and more importantly, on your client monitor.

While i like Title 3D's rich control, Avid's Title Tool had it nailed early on with complete interactivity, and remains a paradigm. I think FCP's TT should be interactive and immediate, as it's supposed to be in LiveType and ain't, even with faster machines. And anyway, who wants to round tri[p for such basic needs as lower thirds, subs, and end credit rolls? I vote to fold it in, layer it over the Canvas with a special title toolbox.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4.5 / 5 keytip:
Toggle Audio Scrub with Shift-S !

The amazing FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics