5 requests for FCP 6.0

Posted by twistlick 
5 requests for FCP 6.0
December 17, 2006 08:56AM
1. Add a button in the button list to 'Toggle Clip Collision on/off'

2. Add a button in the button list for jump forward/backward THIS MANY FRAMES (user defined), Keep the 1 frame & 1 second fwd/backward buttons already there, but I might want to jump forward 10 seconds at a time in a longer sequence and I want to set that.

3. A single button for selecting a clip without having to use the mouse. Right now I have to have my playhead on the clip, hit mark in/out then hit select in/out. Way too many steps. (please fill me in if there's an easier way to do this.)

4. Adjust SELECT NEAREST EDIT button so it selects the nearest edits on ALL SELECTED TRACKS. Right now it only seems to select nearest edit on the top track only.

3. MARKER REDUX > Copy from AVID's LOCATORS (espcially having a printable bin showing all the markers in a timeline with their timecodes)

4. SUBCLIP REDUX > Copy AVID's SUBCLIPS. Make it so you don't have to go through the extra hoops of having to REMOVE SUBCLIP LIMITS just to get back to what is essentially the original MASTER CLIP but a duplicate of the original MASTER Clip.

5. ICON VIEW IN BROWSER > User adjustable sizes - not just the predetermined SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE.

A note to any FCP developers who might see this: You've done a fantastic job with this software over the years and I look forward to Version 6.
Re: 5 requests for FCP 6.0
December 17, 2006 09:26AM
"3. A single button for selecting a clip without having to use the mouse. Right now I have to have my playhead on the clip, hit mark in/out then hit select in/out. Way too many steps. (please fill me in if there's an easier way to do this.)"

How do you click a button without using the mouse? If you're using the mouse you may as well select the clip?
December 17, 2006 11:19AM
> 2. Add a button in the button list for jump forward/backward THIS MANY FRAMES (user
> defined)

You already can. To just move the playhead (works in timeline, Canvas or Viewer), enter a number on the keypad on the right, such as "3, enter" to move the playhead forward three frames, "-120, enter" to move the playhead back one second and 20 frames. To move the playhead forward or backward in one-second increments, it's SHIFT-Right/Left Arrow.

> A single button for selecting a clip without having to use the mouse. Right now I have to
> have my playhead on the clip, hit mark in/out then hit select in/out. Way too many steps.
> (please fill me in if there's an easier way to do this.)

Well, some things are just easier with the mouse rather than laboriously working out how to do it with just the keyboard, as Tom pointed out.

But you can speed it up somewhat by pressing x (puts In/Out points on the clip under the playhead), then OPTION-A (Select In to Out). Still not as fast or intuitive as the mouse.

> Make it so you don't have to go through the extra hoops of having to REMOVE SUBCLIP
> LIMITS just to get back to what is essentially the original MASTER CLIP but a duplicate of the
> original MASTER Clip.

If you want to do that, then why not just use Markers, or duplicate the master clip, rather than make subclips? The whole point of subclips is to allow you to cordon off the parts of a master clip you don't want to see.

www.derekmok.com
December 17, 2006 02:48PM
Thanks for the input Tom & Derek.

The requests I've thrown out there are so editors can work completely without a mouse. I've found after spending many years refining my keyboard in both Avid and FCP that I work much faster without the mouse. Everytime I have to go to the mouse it disrupts my flow. I know it seems kind of trivial but it's true, at least for me. My desire for the FCP developers is that they take this type of edit style into account and polish up the already incredibly rich keyboard shortcuts buttons for this purpose. It's 99% there, just a few more things.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics