Keystroke for Extend Edit with Ripple or Select behavior

Posted by braker 
Keystroke for Extend Edit with Ripple or Select behavior
January 21, 2007 08:43PM
I was surprised when I went about "discovering" Extend Edit that it will only Roll edits.

I would like the same one-stroke functionality which says to FCP: "If possible, please Ripple that selected edit to the playhead position. If you can't do it, bonk me or give me a message or do nothing, and I'll figure out what else to do. Oh, and thanks."

I would also like the same but with no ripple or roll behavior at all. "Please move the selected edit point to the playhead position. Thanks."

Keystroke availability for both, or there wouldn't be a point.

Oh, and thanks.
Re: Extend Edit with Ripple or Select behavior
January 21, 2007 08:54PM
i'd love for extend to work with ripple, too.

"I would also like the same but with no ripple or roll behavior at all. "Please move the selected edit point to the playhead position. Thanks." "

i dont understand
it's gotta be a ripple or a roll.
otherwise what is it???
January 21, 2007 09:07PM
On the Timeline, if you have the Select tool active (default behavior), then dragging a selected edit point simply changes in or out for that clip - with no effect on anything else. If it is bounded by something else it won't do the operation.

It would be handy to have this simple behavior available from the keyboard as wll as the Ripple version.

Understand that when I say edit point I mean a single in or out point of a single clip (or optionally multiple clips). Extend Edit works with two edit points (by my definition) - out popint of outgoing clip and in point of incoming clip - together. Thus it only works in Roll mode.
January 21, 2007 09:17PM
extend will extend into blank track space, too. (single edit point by your definition)
try it.
if it doesn't, it;s because there isn't enough media in the clip to go to where your playhead is.
Re: Keystroke for Extend Edit with Ripple or Select behavior
January 21, 2007 09:39PM
> I would also like the same but with no ripple or roll behavior at all.

How would that be possible?

www.derekmok.com
January 21, 2007 09:41PM
Ah, thanks. Unfortunately, when I do use it it's because I'm looking at a frame in the particular clip - and want to shorten it to that frame!.

This was really secondary to the Ripple request. I Ripple all day and have various ways to do it, but they all take more steps than I'd like.
January 21, 2007 09:56PM
As above: move selected in or out point to current playhead position. In my case I would want to do this to shorten clips.

I am much more interested in the Ripple feature though, so maybe it gets in the way to talk about "select" behavior..
January 21, 2007 10:12PM
> As above: move selected in or out point to current playhead position. In my case I would
> want to do this to shorten clips.

Razoring and deleting seems a lot more efficient to me. Especially if you have multiple sound and video clips positioned in the area which would interfere with Ripple operations.

www.derekmok.com
January 21, 2007 10:31PM
That's what I mostly do for the ripple situations, and it requires either mousing or more keystrokes than I'd prefer.

Context: In my case, this is for documentary production where the bulk of the real work consists of fine cutting to dialog. At that stage I am cutting and rippling across tracks. But I also do the same thing in occasional dramatic production.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics