Some thoughts for now

Posted by adelena 
Some thoughts for now
August 11, 2007 10:48AM
Some thoughts for now:

Being able to edit in Panasonic's P2 format natively. Also, when you convert to quicktime for import from an EVS or P2 you lose much of the meta-data (from EVS the only thing that comes through is the memory location in the EVS.) It would be nice if at least the file name could be preserved.

I like the interface but it needs to be bigger. I don't mean the text for bin names and such I mean the buttons themselves. Everything is WAY to small.

I've noticed that FCP doesn't remember reel names. If I use the same tape twice I have to enter the reel name twice. This seems a little odd. Also it would be nice if you could set the logging bin from the logging interface instead of from the project. Kind of nit-picky, I know.

Finally, and this may be something that is easily worked around, but my FCP defaults to 16channels of audio on import. I digitized several clips yesterday before I realized I was getting 12 extra channels that I didn't need. Odd because I know there were only 4channels on input (only 8 possible, ever.) My Kona card only has 4 AES pairs. Shouldn't FCP be able to detect this?

I apologize if my post is redundant at all. I just don't have time to go through all of the previous 200-some posts. Also, I am an FCP nube so be gentle. 'd like to say that this forum has been a great help to me in migrating from my Avid world. Anyway, cheers folks.
Re: Some thoughts for now
August 11, 2007 11:11AM
> I've noticed that FCP doesn't remember reel names. If I use the same tape twice I have to
> enter the reel name twice.

Not sure what you mean by this one. When you enter a Reel Name in the Log and Capture window, it stays constant until you close the window or change it manually.

> Also it would be nice if you could set the logging bin from the logging interface instead of from
> the project. Kind of nit-picky, I know.

You can, sort of. If you create your new logging bins from the Log and Capture window, using the little "New Log Bin" button (second to the right of the "Log Bin" field), the logging bin is automatically set to the new bin you create.

Not a complete solution, though -- since you still have to go into the Browser to name the bin. Avoiding the Browser isn't really an option here.

> Finally, and this may be something that is easily worked around, but my FCP defaults to
> 16channels of audio on import. I digitized several clips yesterday before I realized I was
> getting 12 extra channels that I didn't need.

You should be able to change that either through the Log and Capture window's "Clip Settings" tab or by selecting your clips and going to Modify - Clip Settings.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics