Make FCP more DI Friendly

Posted by jdredline 
Make FCP more DI Friendly
April 29, 2008 01:52PM
I thought I had posted this in here before, but can't find it now. So, if this is a repeat, I apologize.

On a recent DI project I was really surprised to learn that some important features had not changed since version 5.

The industry seems to be kind of heavy into DI right now, so why isn't version 6 more DI friendly?

1. Why isn't there a new filter called "CG" or something similar to place on clips that will be manipulated by a computer for special effects? That way, when you create your film lists, the CG shots are listed on a new "Pull" list so those shots can be scanned first and sent off to the special effects house.

2. Why didn't EDLs get upgraded? For conforming DIs, I need the EDLs to list Camera Roll information, not which video reel the footage got taped to. So, why doesn't it give me an option for Reel Name or Cam Roll? Avid has had this option for some time now.

They did upgrade the new Cinema Tools film lists to be more compatible with today's standard delivery requirements - providing source TC on the lists, and better organization.

Now, I may have simply missed these features while running through to finish the project or perhaps there already is an easier way to accomplish these things I've listed, but have yet to discover them.

So, please, anyone in the "know", please correct me, or educate me.

Thank you
Re: Make FCP more DI Friendly
April 29, 2008 08:50PM
never seen these ideas raised before, so i think this is the first time you've posted them.
but no, they are not features available in FCP yet.

1. Effect tracking filter:
this however, does exist. it;s a fairly new 3RD PARTY filter AND database manager caled "VFX Tracker"
[www.vfxtracker.net]

2. CR in EDL.
it's a no on that one too.
how does the avid one work?
as an extra field in the EDL?
what happens if you capture a whole tape and SUBCLIP your shots?
anyway, in FCP, you'd use CT as you've done

personally i too would like it if they developed FCP a bit further, rather than relying on other apps to take the strain.
however this seems to be the FCP philosophy

nick
April 29, 2008 09:23PM
VFX TRACKER: Exactly! I can't believe how complete this plug-in is. It's exactly what is needed. Apple needs to acquire this plug-in and add it into version 6.1.

AVID EDLs: The current project I'm working on was done on a 2001 Avid 10.5.3 (I believe Meridian)

When making an EDL output, the EDL settings have a selection choice called "Reel ID Type" and your choices are Tape, Sound Roll, Camera Roll, or AUX Source 1 through 4.

FCP choices = Tape (reel) only. Not helpful for scanning 35mm film.
April 30, 2008 05:12AM
yes, the AUX reel# & TC in FCP are a bit of a joke in that you cant actually USE them in an EDL.
i think one of the recent updates made some improvements in this area, but i dont know the details.
i seem to remember seeing it mentioned in some recent release notes.

nick
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics