One-stroke Focus, like in Avid

Posted by cdenes 
One-stroke Focus, like in Avid
July 24, 2008 03:27PM
One-stroke Focus button for timeline, like in Avid

This is a feature I use all the time in Avid - it's called Focus and it zooms in to the one frame level on the timeline, centering the frame you are viewing. When you hit Focus again it zooms back out to whatever level you were at before zooming in and remains centered. I like the zoom all the way out feature of Final Cut (shift+Z) but really miss the zoom in feature.

For example, you're watching your sequence, you have the timeline set so that you can see three or four minutes of footage there, and you realize you need to trim a few frames in the middle. You need to carefully select which side to trim on each track, so you need to zoom in to do that. In Avid you would hit one button and you're there. In FCP it looks like I have to hold down option and hit the "-" key several times to get to the same place, and then I have to do the same thing to get back to where I was.

It may not sound like a big deal but it does put a lot more strain on the hands and wrists, over time.

This focus feature is also great for trimming. I like to set avid to automatically focus the timeline when I enter trim mode. smiling smiley
Re: One-stroke Focus, like in Avid
July 24, 2008 05:06PM

One-stroke Focus button for timeline, like in Avid

The great thing about FCP is the customization...

You can do this by adding either the +800% zoom button (and say a 100% zoom button to go back) to the buttonbar on your timeline...

or

By customizing your keyboard layout and adding them to say the F16 or F17 keys which aren't used on the Default Keyboard setup.

Access them under the Tools menu...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: One-stroke Focus, like in Avid
July 24, 2008 08:13PM
i've got zoom to 800% on the number pad asterisk.

but it's not the same as avid,
you have to manually zoom out again.
if the timeline isn't large, you can Shift Z,
otherwise, it's Option ----.

(Or assign other zoom levels to other keys)

yes zoom to 800% is cool,
but avid's focus is cooler...

maybe it's patented?

nick

nick
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics