Ideas for added functionality from an After Effects fanboy

Posted by grafixjoe 
Ideas for added functionality from an After Effects fanboy
October 11, 2008 12:07PM
I know...I am an After Effects fanboy...but if FCP is going to claim that they have compositing features, there should be some functionality added to make things easier & more productive like:

* This may have been mentioned (by ME probably), but in the Browser, have a column that shows when a clip has been used in a sequence and how many times (like After Effects).

* After Effects CS4 just implemented an internal "Quicksearch" function that users like myself have been requesting for years. It ls capable of finding elements & effects on individual layers no matter how deeply they are buried in nested sequences (precomps). I would also like to see this implemented in FCP.

* Ability to play thumbnails in the browser (in Thumbnail view) using JKL keys

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: Ideas for added functionality from an After Effects fanboy
October 12, 2008 08:19AM
Following on from searching for effects, I'd suggest:

Search and replace for FCP elements:

- Search for each 'Color Corrector 3-way' with settings named 'Alex' First Idea' and replace with settings named 'Alex Having Wised Up'

- Search for each use of 'Gill Sans Light' in a parameter and replace with 'Twentieth Century'

- Search for each use of 'Slap' audio clip - display them one after the other, so I can choose to replace with 'Punch' audio clip

- Search for each 'Variable Speed time parameter Easy Ease from 100% speed down to 0% in 18 frames' and replace with 'Variable Speed time parameter Easy Ease from 100% speed down to 0% in 7 frames'

- Search in the sequence for each video clip with Master Comment 1 starting with 'Cafe' followed in the sequence within 1 second and 15 frames with a clip whose name includes 'Martin' and apply 'Color Corrector 3-Way' with settings named 'Day for Night'

This will pave the day for when each of these variables will be a node in a network that can be edited directly:

- You'll be able to modify node named 'Secondary Typeface' connected to various effects settings nodes so that it's value changes from 'Gill Sans Light' to 'Twentieth Century'

- You'll be able to define a node as a series of keyframe values you'd like to apply in various places: The value of 'Pause for thought' keyframe series to be [Current Frame: 100%, Current Frame + 18: 0%, Easy Ease 16%]

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
Re: Ideas for added functionality from an After Effects fanboy
October 12, 2008 08:40AM
Adjustment layers, like in AE/Photoshop... So you don't have to pre-comp (erm... nest). And you can apply universal effects more easily (shift fields, broadcast safe, etc...), or transitions across shots with multiple layers.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics