Request for FCP not to crash all the time

Posted by LWGray 
Request for FCP not to crash all the time
November 03, 2008 07:43PM
A nice feature would be for FCP not to crash all the time. It's horribly unstable, especially if your going back and forth between Motion, Soundtrack and Color. It's guaranteed to crash doing any of those maneuvers.
Re: Request for FCP not to crash all the time
November 03, 2008 07:59PM

A nice feature would be for FCP not to crash all the time. It's horribly unstable

All the time? Then you have something wrong with your system and you need to clean it - I have FCP et al running on three different Macs with no issues - yes occasionally it quits without warning - maybe once or twice in a 2 month period.

Run Onyx [www.titanium.free.fr] , trash your prefs [www.lafcpug.org] , make sure your Hard Disks are not more than 80% full and make sure you actually have enough RAM to run 4 applications at once!

Also check any third party fonts you have installed - a common cause of an app not playing ball is font incompatibility or corruption.

Use Fontbook and validate all the fonts or download LinoType Explorer (free) from [www.linotype.com] and run a check with that.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 03, 2008 11:50PM
WoW Ben you have all the goodies.

I have had problems like this also. I narrowed it down to not putting certain 3rd party plugs in my favorites.
Also, no matter what you have, there is no such thing as to much ram.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 04, 2008 12:19AM
Yep plugins are also a problem - some just don't work together and some can crash the system. Its almost worth making a personal log of anything you install on a work machine in date order so you know what was installed when if it comes to trouble shooting - I used to do this years ago when Macs were almost as bad as PCs for conflicts - then came conflict catcher - then came Mac OS X and most of the old issues disappeared only to be replaced with much more secretive issues!

I'm looking forward to Snow Leopard and 16TB of RAM... tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 04, 2008 01:07PM

A nice feature would be for FCP not to crash all the time. It's horribly unstable, especially if your going back and forth between Motion, Soundtrack and Color. It's guaranteed to crash doing any of those maneuvers.

That is not a "Feature Request" LWGray. You seem to have machine issues as I personally have not crashed FCP more than 3 times total in 2008...and I use a lot of plug-ins like Bennie. Time to get your machine in order with fresh installs of everything including the OS / RAM chips / EVERYTHING.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 04, 2008 01:10PM
I agree with Joey. Final Cut simply doesn't crash for me. It's possible that I'm just not doing the things that make it crash, but it certainly doesn't just bomb out at random times.

November 04, 2008 07:53PM
It's a brand new machine. I've got the engineers in today doing a complete reinstall... this is the fifth time though and the hardware guys tell me it's the software as the machine checks out. I don't use lots of plug ins. I haven't had time to add any. I don't know if any fonts are incompatible, as I just use whatever the default has set up. In fact I haven't even got round to opening up most of the programmes on the machine. I've got the recommended disk configurations. I'm by the book. So...
November 04, 2008 08:03PM
If Final Cut crashed as much for everyone then no one would be using it. It's not the software. There are round tripping issues I admit and many have that problem, but the issue with that is not crashing. It's more of what you do in Motion or STP doesn't show up in FCP.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 04, 2008 08:05PM
With that many crashes, I'd suspect bad RAM.

In fact, I'd just replace all the RAM in the machine and call it a day. RAM is cheap compared to the cost of lost time.

November 04, 2008 08:15PM

and I use a lot of plug-ins like Bennie.

I also push the Macs I have waaaaaay beyond the average power-users operation and run crazy amounts of font/plugins/apps.

But lets hope the engineers find what is wrong with your mac it sounds weird. Because I install all my software I know it will run correctly - getting an "engineer" to do it, you never actually know!

November 04, 2008 09:45PM
Hi,

yeah I know I'm whingeing... had a client in and FCP kept crashing while trying to show them the promo I'd just edited for them... Not good!

The engineer has just finished the instal of the system... I still have to reinstall Studio 2... and well, definitely the machine is running smoothly at the moment. It is opening and shutting directories as it should. And it wasn't doing that before. This is taken as final proof that the hardware is working perfectly well.

The engineer's diagnosis was that FCP crashed and corrupted the system and then when I reinstalled last time I didn't erase the disk first and merely overwrote the old install and still kept the fault. Then I reinstalled FCP over a faulty system, which then went onto cause more crashes and the decay of the system even more.

I have to admit I was under the impression that I had completely reformatted the entire set of disks and done a clean install, but maybe it was just the non-system disks. Also, when I first got the machine I had complained about a sluggish performance before installing FCP! He said, even straight from factory it's best to reformat the disk to do the install just to eliminate any possibility of a corrupt system install.

Which I guess is a roundabout way of the hardware guy saying it's the software again. Though which software, is open to debate. I could have been suffering from a hangover of a factory test... we'll see.
November 04, 2008 09:54PM
That guy is a smart fellow. I always erase the HD and do a custom re-install from the OS Disks. Eliminates a bunch of stuff you don't want including all the languages and some apps you will never use.

Now, there will be still issues with round tripping but it should not crash. Google roundtripping with Final Cut Studio. There are a few tips and a bunch of gripes about it. As there should be.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics