Fix Timecode overlays w.r.t. Aux TC and Multiclips

Posted by Andrew Kines 
Fix Timecode overlays w.r.t. Aux TC and Multiclips
March 17, 2009 11:33AM
Fix Timecode overlays w.r.t. Aux TC and Multiclips.
Right now is 6.05 TC overlays don't accurately display the clip's Aux timecode. If you check the clips Aux timecode via the "timecode..." function it doesn't match the displayed TC in the canvas overlay.

Generally a rethink on the whole TC overlay idea would be a good thing. I think AVID has a good model on this issue. A TC window where you can select any number of flavours of TC from clips or the sequence. The window can float and display at large sizes for producer screenings and not taking.
FCP's tracking of TC in Multi's is tentative at best and less than reassuring on difficult multi source multi cam projects.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: Fix Timecode overlays w.r.t. Aux TC and Multiclips
March 17, 2009 12:32PM
Along the lines of Andrew's suggestion...

Would it be possible to introduce timecode overlays in the timeline? I use timecode overlays all the time to conform (eg. manual online), and it'd be nice to have an option to see each track's timecode at the playhead -- in its own track.

www.derekmok.com
March 17, 2009 06:07PM
Agree. Right now I would call timecode and multiclips in FCP tenuous at best. I'm wasting a lot of time on my current project slipping sync to hit the marks. Luckily on this project I almost always have clappers. Without that it would be pretty hideous.

March 18, 2009 08:41PM
Derek,
Interesting. How do you envisage this would work? Are you thinking along the lines of each track displaying its own self contained timecode ruler showing source tc or just some means of displaying within the timeline window the current timecode at the playhead for each track (trying to figure out how, where that would be shown) ... do the timecode overlays in the canvas not work for you?
Best
Andy
March 19, 2009 01:15AM
> Are you thinking along the lines of each track displaying its own self contained timecode ruler
> showing source tc or just some means of displaying within the timeline window the current
> timecode at the playhead for each track

The former. I use the latter (Canvas timecode overlays) now, but when comparing timecodes among tracks, it's much easier if each number appeared in each discreet track, right beside the clip, rather than all crowded in one window. Plus those current overlays are too far from where the "action" really is, the editing timeline.

Imagine the playhead going across all the tracks, with clips in V1, V3, V4 and A1-A4, A7-A10, and on the playhead line, an overlay can show the timecode of the pieces of clips -- where the clips are. Rather than squinting to see what the number is on A8, and having to tear your eyes to the Canvas.

Tall order, I think, but if it's doing, it would be very useful for syncing, copying, and a host of other functions.

www.derekmok.com
March 19, 2009 05:46AM
I like this idea. In Fire and Smoke (the editing systems on which I first learned the basic principles) the timeline will show you a variety of metadata depending on how vertically stretched your tracks are. Source timecode is one of the things it shows you.

The idea of having an option to display source timecode of each track in tiny numbers next to the playhead sounds neat. I don't think I'd want it all the time, but it'd be a very cool feature to toggle on when it's needed.

Re: FFix Timecode overlays w.r.t. Aux TC and Multiclips
March 19, 2009 06:22AM
I get it now ... and it ought to be doable. The overlays in the canvas window are not really drawn into the canvas window itself, they're another window altogether thats overlaid ... seems like the same thing ought to doable for the timeline window. Now just have to convince Apple of it !
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics