Autosave During Render Please!

Posted by DHH 
DHH
Autosave During Render Please!
October 02, 2009 01:42PM
Autosave During Render, instead of waiting till the end.

I've lost so many hours because of this.
I posted under Bugs before I found this thread- sorry.

David.
Re: Autosave During Render Please!
October 02, 2009 04:41PM
You should get into the habit of cancelling the render every 30 to 45 minutes so you can save the project file.

Autosave during a render would be desireable for overnight renders, but other times, you should do it manually so you can check the progress. And do a manual backup of the project file.

www.derekmok.com
DHH
October 05, 2009 11:50AM
Thanks Derek for the reply.

Ya I already tend to do that (re canceling renders and saving every 30 min or so)

Its definitely the overnight renders that I was referring to.
Specifically multiple Motion renders : I had to output 46 Motion treated short items last week- a 4.5 hour render.

As Motion has no Batch render utility (that I am aware of), the best way to me seems to be via the auto-render in FCP, with multiple sequences left open and ready to render.

I guess its my VFX background, but being able to walk away from a long render shouldn't require such user vigilance- not to mention the needless billable hours.

I just wish that the Autosave could interrupt the render process for the 10 sec it needs to save the work FCP is doing... Even just to be able to Autosave after the completion of one of many sequences would be an improvement.

IN FACT, looking at my Autosave Vault right now, a series of sequences I had left auto-rendering over the weekend didn't start Autosaving until I came in this morning and pressed OK to the Autorender completion diolog box (note to self : turn that off).

It just seems to me that this is a prime candidate for a minor software tweak that would save us all alot of headache- am I wrong?

Cheers,
David
October 06, 2009 04:35AM
I may be misinterpreting this or this may be entirely tangential (apologies in advance if thats the case but it may be some useful info to offer in any case) ... you don't actually need to keep sequences open and use "auto render" to batch render, you can batch render direct from the Browser window. You need only have the project open (not sequences) and select the sequence(s) you want to render in the Browser window, then choose then required render option from the menubar (or keyboard shortcut) ... not sure if or how this helps with your Autosave issues but hopefully useful nonetheless.

Best
Andy
October 06, 2009 09:28AM
> you don't actually need to keep sequences open and use "auto render" to batch render, you can
> batch render direct from the Browser window. You need only have the project open (not
> sequences) and select the sequence(s) you want to render in the Browser window, then choose
> then required render option from the menubar (or keyboard shortcut)

No, that won't help with the saving issue (what he wants is saving during a render). But what's stranger is that I used to do this all the time, select multiple sequences in the Browser and render that way, and somewhere in the FCP5 upgrades that stopped working -- FCP would ignore the command. I have absolutely no explanation for it, and I don't know if it's been fixed somewhere along the way! Yes, I'd checked the render options already.

www.derekmok.com
DHH
October 07, 2009 03:18PM
Thanks for your time on this guys- and thanks for the tip on rendering selected sequences directly out of the browser... The things you never try.. Duh.

In the context of working with lots of Motion files, and trying to take advantage of round-tripping (rather than Batch exporting, or using Compressor to save out Quicktimes), its a bit of a pickle.

Again, thanks for thinking about it.

... just think of all our collectively lost time from (what seems to me) a simple bit of coding that could be rewritten.... Render, Save, Render some more, Save...

Cheers,
David
October 16, 2009 10:56AM
i'd say this is a very valid feature request.
(and i've now seen all 555 of them!)

ok, so maybe "Autosave During Render" may not be right approach.
this could be seen as a patch on a bug.

what we need is a Render process that doesn't crash on completion.

this should NOT be a feature request.
it should "just work"

nick
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics