better wave forms in timeline

Posted by Moonface 
better wave forms in timeline
December 01, 2009 10:15AM
in a project with several, let's say 6, tracks of audio, the waveform display in the timeline is very poor- frequently blank. i have asked in various forums about this before- i guess it is a known bug. there are work arounds, but they are time consuming and annoying. i do a lot of english to other language translations. it sure would be nice to see the waveforms so i can spend more time syncing and less time guessing.

mikey
studio 2
mac pro quad core
6 gb ram
Re: better wave forms in timeline
December 01, 2009 10:18AM
Perhaps there's a way to make the waveforms draw faster, but until then, it's better to use the Viewer for spotting waveforms. Once you learn to Match Frame from the Viewer back to the timeline, operations like razoring out blank parts of audio clips become much easier.

www.derekmok.com
December 01, 2009 10:27AM
it's not so much that they draw slowly as they do not draw at all.i am used to usung the viewer to see the waveforms, but that doesn't help when comparing 2 tracks on the timeline- let's say 1 english and one spanish.

besides, i thought this was a forum for suggested improvements in future versions- a great idea in my book- gathering ideas from those who use the product every day.

mikey
December 01, 2009 10:35AM
> it's not so much that they draw slowly as they do not draw at all.

It's the same issue...the timeline waveforms somehow tax the system so badly that it gets stuck. Give it enough time and they usually do draw out eventually...but of course, that makes the feature impractical.

I'm not arguing against the suggestion; merely suggesting a workaround. If you razor out all the empty spaces from a language track (I routinely deal with four language versions or more), and make In/Out points very close to the actual audio, it's much easier dealing with multiple languages of the same chunk of dialogue.

www.derekmok.com
December 01, 2009 10:49AM
Cool trick. i have been razoring out only necessary spaces for timing, graphic sync, etc. Your tip should give more starting points.

quick off subject question. don't wince.... do you think there will ever be a windows version of fcp? i ask because as a freelance editor, i work for a lot of people with old avid systems, who are looking to update. problem is, they are usually one room in a large all windows facility with a crotchedy old i.t. guy who gags at the thought of a mac in his building. i have been asked more than once if fcp will ever go bi-operating system.

mikey
December 01, 2009 05:17PM
>do you think there will ever be a windows version of fcp?

No. Can't imagine how that would please anyone. Get a mac and dual boot in Windows if you need, or you can run Parallels. And you'll be much happier doing so.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 30, 2010 12:37PM
Apple would never license FCP or its Pro Suite to Windows systems IMHO.
Noone then would have to buy Apple Computers then, and it would be
devastating to Apples bottom line , in my opinion, and that is why I never
see it happening.

Moonface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
... do you
> think there will ever be a windows version of fcp?
>
>
> mikey
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics