background autosave

Posted by Benjamin Meyer 
background autosave
July 18, 2010 03:11PM
I was asked to post this here, after discussing in another forum.

This should be a no-brainer, at this point, as many other applications do it (Final Draft, Scrivener). Granted, FCP projects may be more complicated, but it should be possible, and would save many hours by not forcing the editor to stop work.

Background render would be nice. Background autosave would be an effective way to compete with the bin-by-bin saving in Avid, which saves tons of time.

Thanks!
Re: background autosave
July 18, 2010 08:20PM
the people in the other forum should have told you that auto-saving IS an existing feature in FCP!
it's been there for a while now,
and these days, unless your project is HUGE, it does happen in the background.

background render would be nice, though.
July 18, 2010 08:24PM
ok, i read the other post.
in my experience the auto-saves are relatively invisible.
by which i mean they ARE invisible unless the project get above a certain size.
if they could be completely invisible, that would be better.

but if your projects are too big, you have more serious problems to worry about.

nick
July 19, 2010 01:32AM
Yeah, it'd be nice if the saves and Autosaves were even less disruptive. My project-file sizes rarely balloon above 25MB since I do a lot of short-form material, and I also don't keep that many versions on longer shows, but even when a project is only 18MB or so, it starts saving a bit too slowly for my taste. Especially since I have Obsessive Compulsive APPLE-S Disorder.

www.derekmok.com
July 19, 2010 06:28PM
Yeah, obviously autosave is already a feature, Nick.

Drawing from my substantial experience cutting both small and large projects using Final Cut Pro, I have found autosaves to be disruptive, although one cannot forego the feature. I stand by my request for background autosaves.
July 19, 2010 07:13PM
Making Autosave a bit more stable wouldn't be a bad idea, either. It's never happened to me (because I grab something from the Autosave Vault maybe once a year), but more than one person has complained about looking there and not finding anything.

www.derekmok.com
June 24, 2011 03:36PM
Yeah it's already part of it!

[www.finalcutproxtutorial.com]
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics